Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ASrod

Gibbs casting swimmer?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I have quite a few of them laying around in 1oz yellow and I am wondering how they are for stripers in rough and turbulent water?

Have any of you had luck with them? I fish in the Chesapeake Bay and Solomons Island, MD

I think John Skinner uses one in a video and comments how it good in rough surf. I used one last night and was the only plug they seem to want.

I have quite a few of them laying around in 1oz yellow and I am wondering how they are for stripers in rough and turbulent water?

Have any of you had luck with them? I fish in the Chesapeake Bay and Solomons Island, MD

Did Rose Kennedy have a black dress?

I think Skinner used the Super Strike one, I have read the Gibbs is more effective. Have you ever landed a big/keeper striper with one?

My bad your correct. Havent seen the video in a while.

Large, old ones with the bigger lip dig deeper for breachways and deep dropoffs. Smaller lipped ones run shallower. They have an action similar to that of metal-lipped swimmers (some more muted, some just as good) with less air resistance so they cast better. These things shine when you need a metallip action out on the end of a long cast or in big waves where metal lip plugs will roll and lose their bite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asrodowski View Post

I think Skinner used the Super Strike one, I have read the Gibbs is more effective. Have you ever landed a big/keeper striper with one?

I landed my biggest striper from shore on an older black Gibbs this September.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadSoundBound View Post

I landed my biggest striper from shore on an older black Gibbs this September.

Not to be nosey, How big was it? I'm always interested in peoples biggest catch.

Quick measure with the tape was 44" I released it. The Gibbs Plug was sideways in the Striper's mouth.

The fish in the pic below was on the same night on the same Gibbs 2oz casting swimmer. Fish in the pic was 39"

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadSoundBound View Post

Quick measure with the tape was 44" I released it. The Gibbs Plug was sideways in the Striper's mouth.

The fish in the pic below was on the same night on the same Gibbs 2oz casting swimmer. Fish in the pic was 39"

WOW! Nice catch!