Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JettyGuy

FISHING THE LIP---At nighttime!

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

I am curious about your thoughts on this.

The other night I was fishing with about twenty guys. This is the fall run,so the word apparently got out---LOL!:D

But anyway(True story, I swear) So these guys,a mix of new, to pretty tested anglers, are lined up along the beach.

They are all throwing to the stars and not one of them are throwing their buck tails or plugs into the best water---the 20 yards in front of them. In the meantime,I am casually throwing a 3 inch storm wild eye and hooking up 15 feet from the beach I'd say every sixth cast or so.

Truthfully, there were so many people tossing jigs and plugs,I simply didn't feel like moving,but just decided not to put my line anywhere near theirs.

It turned out to be a very valuable experiment.

Do you guys make a concerted effort to fish the lip? Do any of you have a strategy for doing that? What lures or plugs do you use when fishing the lip and what conditions have been the most favorable for you to make you fish the lip?

This could be an informative thread for the new guys---some who typically cast to the moon. THANKS!!!

Ok, here goes. I fish the lip with small bucks, that part is pretty simple. I also, if I have room, cast to my let or right depending on water movement, and work a small metal lip or even small SS popper along the top of that last wave. Also I look for sand flea crusted bodies in the wash. There's more but next time.

Ok, here goes. I fish the lip with small bucks, that part is pretty simple. I also, if I have room, cast to my let or right depending on water movement, and work a small metal lip or even small SS popper along the top of that last wave. Also I look for sand flea crusted bodies in the wash. There's more but next time.

The sand fleas are really the ticket--so true! GREAT POST Rat!!!!

One plug that has just scalped---has been the yozuri darter when sand fleas are around. Especially the ones that have lost their color( about all of them!) so the color is like a hazy gray? neutral whitish. just fling out the larger or even better, smaller yozori darter----wham!!

But what I am saying here, is that regardless of the bait--AT NIGHT--- think about how much time that our lures are spending dragging across a hundred yard cast in unproductive water, just because we forget about what might be less than 20 yards away?---when at night a lot of the monsters are in close?

Another thought for you newer guys----look at the way the sand sets up behind you. If you see a large embankment behind you and a rolling surf with whitewater hitting the embankment and washing out to sea----EUREKA....fish the lip.

Any specific color you were using what about 4 inch ?

I think that any color would have worked and almost any size. The color of the storm was bunker colo.r( goldish and black spots)

The fish were all small and the bait that night was smaller bait. But one thing is for sure --even the smaller bass will chase down a five inch x -rap

like it's nothing. These fish were 24 inches at best, with maybe one keeper caught that night.

The sand fleas are really the ticket--so true! GREAT POST Rat!!!!

One plug that has just scalped---has been the yozuri darter when sand fleas are around. Especially the ones that have lost their color( about all of them!) so the color is like a hazy gray? neutral whitish. just fling out the larger or even better, smaller yozori darter----wham!!

But what I am saying here, is that regardless of the bait--AT NIGHT--- think about how much time that our lures are spending dragging across a hundred yard cast in unproductive water, just because we forget about what might be less than 20 yards away?---when at night a lot of the monsters are in close?

Another thought for you newer guys----look at the way the sand sets up behind you. If you see a large embankment behind you and a rolling surf with whitewater hitting the embankment and washing out to sea----EUREKA....fish the lip.

Ok now ya giving to much away. A plug I do not leave home without. When mullet are in the surf, lookout. Three weeks ago in heavy water and wind 15 bass in 2 hours and only thing they would hit.

The fish are at the lip because small bait and sandeels and crustaceans are getting dislodged and tossed about. BT works great or any shallow running minnow/sandeel type lure. Cast horizontally to spend more time near the lip. Its amazing how close they will get to shore and your feet.

Just a quick note---the lip is productive ,especially when you are looking down at the sand and see large bait at your feet.

We have had quite the adult bunker run on the east end---and believe me I have witnessed the bunker literally dive onto the sand while being chased by bass.

Another telltale sign near the lip---look for large broken clam shells at night---fish those spots.

I apologize if I am stating the obvious---again thinking of the newer guys.

Back in the 80's there was a guy staying in the cottage next to us.

He was in his late 60s or early 70's and loved to talk fishing.

I was in my late 20s and ate it all up.

Told me about pinhooking bass in the glory days at MTK.

Showed me a couple of spots.

I'd wade in and he'd holler "Where are you going? You're standing on the fish!"

Fish the lip.

:)

Jetty Guy ( and others),

This is an amazing and helpful post - especially for a newbie (not a Googan ) like myself.

This is my first Fall run and I've caught a bag full of keeper SKUNKS ( pun intended) .

Sadly, many of the posts on the forum have been jibberish or back and forth arguing over forum rules.

That being said....posts like these go a very long way to help the up and comers.

Thanks so much for this,

King

Thanks. When you weed through all of the BS,most of us envision this forum as a place where we can freely discuss fishing tactics.

Some of the posters here have a wealth of accumulated experience fishing under all kinds of conditions( drunk,drugged,while having sex,etc.:D Just kidding.:D

All of us could benefit if they would take the time to enlighten us.

What's the old saying? Give a man a fish and he has meal. Teach a man to fish and he'll invite all of his friends and screw up your spot.

That's not really true---but that's how some people feel.

But it is very rewarding when someone has something to say that increases our fishing skill.

That's why I keep coming back to this forum. Occasionally, some of the sharpies here truly earn their keep with some very helpful posts.