Check Your Hooks!

Rate this topic

Bayviewrr

I am sure this has been posted before but its a good reminder. I was out this morning with bass slamming bunker pods all around the boat. Landed three bass in the 20-25 lb range. Fish were breaking all over the surface and were all over my slab fly. Hooked a beautiful fish, he took me into backing, then spit the hook. Next cast, same thing. Next cast, same thing, couldn't keep them hooked. When the pods dissipated I pulled in my line and checked my fly. You can see from the photo below why I wasn't able to keep the last three on. In all the excitement I forgot to check my hook. Oh well, back to the vise. There is always tomorrow.

Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Check your hooks......

Unfortunately hook failure, it has happened on too many occasions with the premium TMC 911S light wire series size 1/0 to mention.

The location, never in the hook barb area but higher in the bend.

Can't blame rocks either, maybe a metallurgy hardness treatment problem?

Still can't figure out why these marketed stainless steel hooks are attracted to magnets.

Can't be the real deal.

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

Done that too. On Harkers last year we had some super hot albie fishing and that happened to me not once, not twice, but three times. When you go in to that "mode" all whats left up there goes in to a blur :) . The first time that happened I hooked four fish until I checked the hook :)

I went out to test a new line the other night, just grabbed one bonefish fly and headed out to the beach. When I got there I found that this one was from the batch where I ran out of head cement and used superglue - no way any tippet was going through that eye. Went home and as you suggested I checked 120 flies, probably 20 had the eye gunked up from the glue. Better to find out now before going out...from now on I check when the fly is dry, check again a few times while fishing...

• 2 weeks later...

Fortunately, I've not had many broken hooks like that, but have had the points bend & blunt. Seems to me that some points are too long, and as stated there may be an issue with the hardness with some hooks. The old school approach of triangular points worked well when I had to sharpen them myself, but these newer hooks all have either a conical point or some type of cutting point, and they all seem to blunt far too easy & not always from striking rocks. This is the larger sizes used for Striper fishing & such, not small size fly hooks for trout. Anyone else feel this is a problem?

No one likes to be behind the big truck, but it's better than being under it!