Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sweetbend

bes surf rod

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

hi all !! I looking for a casting surf rod .I want a 12 or 13 rod in length. I will be throw 4 -6 oz. And bait. I need a rod that is light and also get me the distance and also detect a bite . Will be fishing for pompano off the beach. Thanks you

The best casting rod I've had thus far is a St Croix Legend Surf LSC110MHMF2.  It's only 11' but handles 5 oz plus 2+ oz bait easily.  It's super light and super sensitive.  With a reasonable quality reel, pendulum cast, 5 oz, no bait and 17# test with 60 # leader, an old man can cast 85 yards routinely.

The best casting rod is the one that you think is.

There is lots to choose from. Find one that is good for you and fish the hell out of it. Good luck.

I've heard Breakawayusa.com has a new GDX that I think is 12 foot and showing early popularity with the Texas Pomp Hunters.

I've been using Rainshadow SUR1385 and 1386 blanks to build my rods (they are a little shorter than you asked for and need to be built from a blank).

good luck

Sweetbend:

I have a similar application herein NJ when the Stripers run small or when throwing bait with a NW or W wind, which comes off the beach. It is a CTS S8 SE1362 that is 13 ft 6 inches and rated 3-7 oz. My guide layout is conventional concept using Fuji Alconite guides and my reel is a Penn 525 Mag loaded with 15 lb Suffix Elite and 50lb Shock Leader. This combo will throw a 3oz T-Hex and Flatwing Teaser Fly well over the outside bar at High tide. and will do the same with a 5 oz storm sinker and a clam on a Hatteras style fish finder rig. For both scenarios I use an off the ground Uni-Tech or an OTG cast. My field measured casts (by Sport Cast USA officials) is 400 ft with either 100 or 125 grams.

Flatwing is right-on.  In general a longer rod will out distance a shorter one all else being equal.  My old 13' fiberglass gave greater distance than my new 11' carbon.  However the shoulder stain was much greater with the glass.  One of my boys now has the 13. 

The New GDX in action on Padre Island. Nick has it locked up. These 12 foot rods are very nice for sure, and there priced right. A very nice 3-6 rod that competes well with rods much higher in price.

Big Dave