Leatherface

Bass Pro Shops to open fourth New York store in Nassau County on Long Island

Rate this topic

79 posts in this topic

Haven't heard a peep about BP in over a year.  The new arena is set to open in a month or so, no word on the stores yet.  I've been to the BP stores in Vegas, the Keys and the one next to the IGFA HOF.  All 3 seem to cover the local scene pretty well.  I do stop in the Cabela's store in Delaware regularly when I drive down to the DC area for work.  That store is kind of all over the place in terms of tackle, but they have every single rod imaginable in stock.  

On a side note, the Field and Stream on 110 was kind of a disappointment when I went.  Seemed overly geared towards hunting, which really would seem more appropriate upstate IMO.  Bought a bunch of SPs that was about it.  I thought they'd have an aquarium with local fish like the other mega outdoors stores, nope.  

its because of the time of year, come spring/ summer the fishing section will be much larger than the hunting and in the fall winter visa versa. it depends on the season, dicks does the same thing

Far as I can tell they announce these stores like vaporware,  perhaps as a way of intimidating competition. The one at Sayreville NJ has not broken ground now years after announcement of it's coming.

On a side note, the Field and Stream on 110 was kind of a disappointment when I went.  Seemed overly geared towards hunting, which really would seem more appropriate upstate IMO.  Bought a bunch of SPs that was about it.  I thought they'd have an aquarium with local fish like the other mega outdoors stores, nope.  

I thought I heard somewhere there are more registered gun owners/hunters here in LI then a good deal of counties upstate? Something just under 8 million people on LI? If you think of it in those terms they might move more goods then if they were located in Putnam or Orange, let alone further North. 

I thought I heard somewhere there are more registered gun owners/hunters here in LI then a good deal of counties upstate? Something just under 8 million people on LI? If you think of it in those terms they might move more goods then if they were located in Putnam or Orange, let alone further North. 

If true, certainly makes sense then.  IMO, as a fisherman, this store falls short compared to the BPS stores I've been to.

:eek:  - YAWN

This is exciting news, I can't wait till they open the BPS so I can spend 5 bucks on hooks that I could have bought at WALMART for 98 cents

Only time I've ever been to a BPS was to use their bathroom on the way to Walmart

:eek:  - YAWN

This is exciting news, I can't wait till they open the BPS so I can spend 5 bucks on hooks that I could have bought at WALMART for 98 cents

Only time I've ever been to a BPS was to use their bathroom on the way to Walmart

:)

:theman:

Edited by Popasilov

If true, certainly makes sense then.  IMO, as a fisherman, this store falls short compared to the BPS stores I've been to.

Not sure if you meant per capita, because some of those upstate counties have very sparse populations with lots of guns per. From BPS point of view, Long Island is  no brainer, Lot's of people, densely populated, with good numbers of middle to high to very high income people. 

Not sure if you meant per capita, because some of those upstate counties have very sparse populations with lots of guns per. From BPS point of view, Long Island is  no brainer, Lot's of people, densely populated, with good numbers of middle to high to very high income people. 

Sometimes the bean counters at these chains can't see your logic. I once had an email exchange with someone at Harbor Freight Tools encouraging them to open a store in Hudson County NJ.  My point was here's 625k people in the 6th densest county in the country with Newark right next door and Manhattan through 2 tunnels. They said the rents were too high! They had stores in towns of 30k in the middle of Oregon, but couldn't see that location meant more customers. We're finally getting a Trader Joes in Hoboken, but the 100k wealthy people in Hoboken and Jersey City still can't get a Whole Foods.

Sometimes the bean counters at these chains can't see your logic. I once had an email exchange with someone at Harbor Freight Tools encouraging them to open a store in Hudson County NJ. My point was here's 625k people in the 6th densest county in the country with Newark right next door and Manhattan through 2 tunnels. They said the rents were too high! They had stores in towns of 30k in the middle of Oregon, but couldn't see that location meant more customers. We're finally getting a Trader Joes in Hoboken, but the 100k wealthy people in Hoboken and Jersey City still can't get a Whole Foods.

Rumor is your whole paycheck will be coming to Harborside in JC and taking the place of the old cafeteria there

No idea if the rumor is true but would be par for the course for whatever they hell they are doing in that dump

Yes I guess I meant per capita.....with nearly 8 million people LI has pretty much everything. Classic example I was watching last week's Super Bowl and the "87 LUMBER" commercial came on. WTF, hug what %$#???. Then I googled it and saw it's a lumber yard chain. Then at my son's hockey practice the other night, somebody told me there was one in the Commack area? Still wonder how they bucked up the 5 million for 30 seconds though...

The commercial space set aside for the stores was put on hold. Nassau County is now looking at a parking garage and affordable housing units. The story was in Sunday's Newsday. Also, the "new" coliseum looks absolutely hideous now. Should have just let Charles Wang use his own $400 million to renovate it keeping the Islanders here. What a complete waste of space it is now and lack of an anchor tenant that produces tax revenue. Typical Nassau political BS. 

Yes I guess I meant per capita.....with nearly 8 million people LI has pretty much everything. Classic example I was watching last week's Super Bowl and the "87 LUMBER" commercial came on. WTF, hug what %$#???. Then I googled it and saw it's a lumber yard chain. Then at my son's hockey practice the other night, somebody told me there was one in the Commack area? Still wonder how they bucked up the 5 million for 30 seconds though...

84 Lumber was on 25 in Smithtown by "The Bull" & has been closed many years. Now vacant. Hear they want to develop it into apartments.

84 Lumber was on 25 in Smithtown by "The Bull" & has been closed many years. Now vacant. Hear they want to develop it into apartments.

Which makes me scratch my head that they came up with the fees for a Super Bowl ad. I know it's a big world out there but they seem to be far from a household name. 

84 lumber had a Riverhead location which closed about 7 years ago. Now rumors they want to open in another location. The one thing they had better than Lowes and HD were their put together backyard swing sets and buildings.