Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bowless

Rookie mistake!

26 posts in this topic

I bought a WS tarpon 100 thinking the smaller boat would be easier on an old guy.

I realized on my first outing - pond- that it might not be a good idea to fish the salt in this, which is really what I want.  I guess the only smart thing I did was buy it on "tax free" day.

Should have been reading SOL a lot more and paying attention to the great advice offered here.

You could always sell it on craig's list in the spring. Some kayak shops may accept it as a trade in towards your next purchase.

Don't feel bad most people who kayak own several kayaks. It is not possible to buy one kayak that is perfect for all conditions.:)

Welcome to the club.

Thanks.  Funny how they look so big in the store but really shrink once on the water.

That is the fact of every boat ever built.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowless View Post

I bought a WS tarpon 100 thinking the smaller boat would be easier on an old guy.

I realized on my first outing - pond- that it might not be a good idea to fish the salt in this, which is really what I want.  I guess the only smart thing I did was buy it on "tax free" day.

Should have been reading SOL a lot more and paying attention to the great advice offered here.

You should be looking for 12 to 13. Listed for sale in here.

You should be looking for 12 to 13. Listed for sale in here.

Personally, I'd go 14'. I have a Tarpon 12'er and it feels pretty small on big water.

I have two tarpon 140's a brand new one and a older model I bought used for $200 its nice having the option to bring some one. If you keep your eyes peeled youll find a deal somewhere.

Thanks.  Funny how they look so big in the store but really shrink once on the water.

Same thing happens to the big fish I'm reeling in. By the time the fish gets to my canoe it has shunk down to a dink.

If there is a mistake, I have made it, but after borrowing and renting a number of yaks, I, and I went with the Hobie Outback and am completely happy in the NY/Raritan Bay’s, and the surf off NJ.

I am 66 and somewhat good shape, typical aches and pains from sports and being stupid, the Outback has enough speed for me, and storage and very stable, someday were I can standup for some odd reason. And, the Mirage Drive works great for me, last longer, not faster than my Ocean Kayak, shorter by 18”, easier to swing the line around the bow.

It is easier to transport than my old Ocean Trident 13 (which wasn’t too bad either), just slip it up on the tailgate and slam it in.

I would say if you were younger go for the Revo 13, the sportster of the line, very quick and I think easier to mount on top of a vehicle, and better surf launches.

I just picked up a second (older) Outback that I am refitting over the winter. Now is the time for a couple of months to pick up a nice used yak, I just did.

Bowless,

if you'd like to try a 120, 140, or 160, shoot me a pm. They're sitting here unused right now and there's a pond next to them for a test paddle. if you leave your 100 for collateral you could take one with you to try on bigger water if you want.

There many kayaks out there I own a pa 14 great kayak but heavy 160with no extras all set and done it weights 180

one kayak can t do it all

Fishing ocean or bay

Fishing lake or river

Non fishing for lake river or bay

Now paddle or foot

It get crazy

My concern was safety I knew from owning a boat I start just 200 yards from beach now I'm going 1 mile off beach ( it just happens when u chase fish)

Pick which category from above and people on here will help u with some models then goto a show nj paddles has one in the spring and sit in it play around with it then they will make u try it

Thank you for the generous offer passiton.

I agree staktup, the boat would be a lot of fun on small water.

It's very comfortable and easy moving it around.

I plan on primarily fishing the bays and only occasionally the sweetwater.

If it was the other way around the 100 would be a keeper.