SOAB - My kitchen sink collapsed / came unglued from the granite

Rate this topic

Sudsy

This was put in 17 years ago with the granite. The glue finally gave out.

How do I fix it ?

To be more specific -

How do I get the old glue off ? It's like concrete.

What do I use to glue it back on ?

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

That's nice, someone forgot to use the sink under-mount clips. Need to do it right so it doesn't happen again as you just found out silicone alone will not hold the sink. First you need to get undermount fasteners. I would suggest "Undermount Drill-less Sink Clips". Clean and scuff the surface and mount the clips. I would do three or four clips on all sides. You can drill the granite for another type of clip, but too much can go wrong and it would be expensive to have any issues. If it were mine I would do the devcon epoxy method but drilling is an option. Get a 2x4, a piece of 3/8 threaded rod some nuts and washers, your going to make a jig. Use silicone of your choice, and clamp it down and tighten the nut snugs. Let it cure 24 hours and hook it all back up.

I once did a job at a hotel in boston where my foreman did not want to use undermount clips, 8 months after opening all the sinks came off...lol...we were there for weeks on overtime.

The old glue was some kind of epoxy - parts of it still have that epoxy smell

For the most part it's chilling off fairly easily, a few spots are giving me a fight but I'll get em

I distinctly remember questioning the guy as he was installing it. I was trained that that you need both chemical and mechanical methods together to properly attach something to something else. He said, nope, this will last the life of the sink - guess the sinks lifespan was 17 years :dismay:

Hercules Sink Harness - this didn't exist then - anyone have any experience with it ?

Is there a better way to do the mechanical part

And I'm still unsure about the adhesive - the youtube videos are all using silicone, but I find it hard the believe that that will last long.

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

The harness looks like the better of those two options. 

It look like the sink wall is pretty close to the carcass sides though, and the flange looks to be almost tight to it. If that is the case It may be just as simple to cut a piece of plywood maybe 22" (front to back size of the sink) by 10 inches (a couple of inches taller than the sink) and fasten it to the sides of the cabinet....basically a ledger board to press the flange tight to the bottom of the c/top. It could hang down a couple of inches from the bottom of the sink so you have easy access to screw it to the sides of the cabinet.  Still clean it up and seal it well with silicone and it will last forever. If appearance is a concern, use some iron on edge banding and spray it with some lacquer from a rattle can.

The harness is the only one of the two that will work - as you noticed, there isn't enough room between the sink and the carcass to fit the E-Clips

I like the ledger board idea (just make em longer - duh ! smacks self in forehead)

I'm going to go with four 2x2's, one for each corner, with cross bars on top.

Is all 100% silicone the same ?? I have a tube here already but I'm not sure about the quality, it's been here for a while.

Depending on how much room there is between the sides of the sink basin and the inner walls of the cabinet I would make some wood braces to hold it in place. Have done this plenty of times when the epoxy on sink clips have failed, and they almost always do.

Island livin

So I went with 100 % Silicone (which sucks because I already had the 5200 in my shop - didn't see these posts)

Rigged my own harness out of a pair of door hinges, some lure building wire, some strips of sheet metal, and a nut n bolt with heavy rectangular washers

Worked great

Silicone is a good sealant but a poor adhesive. Use 3M 5200 and you'll be able to stand in that sink. The fast cure 5200 cures in 24 hours. When removing metal parts glued to fiberglass with 5200 the laminate will actually pull apart before the glue joint will release. Granite companies don't use it because it's nearly $20 a tube.

Ed Panzella

"BAITS MOTEL" - 2450 Maycraft Pilothouse

Higganum, Ct