Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Fisherman

Steelhead Marabou Stingers

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

It’s the modern way with so many streamers. But today I am not interested in pushing water. I want to embrace it. Cherish it. Become one with its fluidity.

Here are two simple, elegant streamers, tied on articulated shanks with a trailing stinger hook. Their intent is seduction, not overt pandering to the lateral line. A tail of rabbit with some Krystal Flash. Soft, flowing marabou that caresses the currents and whispers, “I’m alive.” A little flash to augment the flavors, not overpower them. Intended for steelhead, but certainly useful with trout. Cast. Swing. Dangle.

And hold on.

Steelhead Marabou Stinger

Shank: Fish Skull Articulated Shank 35mm

Thread: Black 6/0

Stinger: Gamakatsu Split Shot/Drop Shot, size 2, attached with 30 pound Fireline

Tail: Black rabbit strip with black Krystal Flash.

Body: Palmered marabou: black, then wine, then purple, then two turns fluorescent red

Topping/Cheeks: Red, blue, purple flashabou.

~

Steelhead Marabou Stinger 2

Shank: Fish Skull Articulated Shank 35mm

Thread: Chartreuse 6/0

Stinger: Gamakatsu Split Shot/Drop Shot, size 2, attached with 30 pound Fireline

Tail: White rabbit strip with pearl Krystal Flash.

Body: Palmered marabou: white, then pink, then four turns chartreuse

Topping/Cheeks: Silver, blue, green flashabou.

Steve Culton

Love 'em Steve, makes me want to get after it. Happy to see you posting again.

Have you tried OPST intruder shanks? Check them out, I think you will find them to your liking. Absolutely positively the best shanks currently marketed I've found for tying a fly with a trailing line or wire like this.

Thanks. I have not tried those shanks, but I will since the Fish Skull shanks are not cone or bead friendly. I just bought a pack because that's what the shop had.

Your enthusiasm is geographically appropriate, since these draw heavily from the Alaskabou school of design thought.

Steve Culton

Nice ties Steve!!  Purple, Black, and blue is another great color combo and you can never go wrong with olive.......but I bet you already know that!!  Good luck on your trip!!

Frank

It goes through the loop at the butt of the shank, is attached with thread along the shank, goes through the hook eye, then doubles back along the shank. Hard wraps of thread, then a glaze of Zap-A-Gap. Does that make sense?

Steve Culton

It goes through the loop at the butt of the shank, is attached with thread along the shank, goes through the hook eye, then doubles back along the shank. Hard wraps of thread, then a glaze of Zap-A-Gap. Does that make sense?

Steve Culton

Steve,

Why braid and not something more abrasion resistant?

Pete

Hi Pete,

I have never tied streamers like these before and I found that that's what many before me who have were using. Dacron backing was another popular option. YMMV. :-)

Steve Culton