Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DanTheBassMan

Van Staal X-Series

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Anyone hear about Van Staal releasing a new reel? Supposedly upgraded with some stuff? I can't find any details on it, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience seeing this reel, say, at ICast, when it was there? Maybe previews from tackle stores? I know Josh from J&H got some videos out on these reels, but there really wasn't any important info I could grab from them. If anyone could go over the modifications VS made to it, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks!

There are more than a few threads here. It was beaten very much to death. The new x wrap system will increase casting distance by 1,000,000% and it completely eliminates all wind knots. Also, any bass caught with a new vs will fart rainbows too.

I haven't heard anything but honestly what major improvements can they make to an already well made tried & true reel? For the first time VanStaal user this may be a good option but for longtime VS users like myself I see no point.

There are more than a few threads here.

Can you tell me one or two tbreads in particular? I've tried searching "Van Staal VSX" and "Van Staal X-series", and can't find anything specific on the X.

It was beaten very much to death.

What do you mean? Sorry if it's supposed to be funny, I've no sense of humor.

Also, any bass caught with a new vs will fart rainbows too.

Leaves you to ponder what the bluefish will be doing...

I haven't heard anything but honestly what major improvements can they make to an already well made tried & true reel? For the first time VanStaal user this may be a good option but for longtime VS users like myself I see no point.

If they haven't screwed up any seals or anything, a smoother drag and retrieve would've been a good thing to add (better gearing, I dunno). Also, the X-series has MUCH improved line lay.

they will be out in December for sale.  they changed the drag to clicking noise and the line lay is much better on it an the oscillation is greater on the vsx for better casting distance.  i will be buying a vsx 200 this winter.  

they will be out in December for sale.  they changed the drag to clicking noise and the line lay is much better on it an the oscillation is greater on the vsx for better casting distance.  i will be buying a vsx 200 this winter.  

Sweet. Any changes to the drag or seals, to make them less resistent to turning the handle? I know about the line lay and clicker from J&H, so I was hoping on some info about possible changes to the internals. I'm torn between a torque and a VS, a this may be the deal breaker for me. Ideally i'd like to put a vs 150 or torque 5 on a St.Croix legend surf rod, 9 ft, moderate action for plugs, bombers/sp minnows, and a hogy or slug-go depending on the conditions. Any braid recomendations? I'm thinking spiderwire (haven't chosen which) or original fireline. I use Sufix 832 atm on all my other combos but want to try other products, but I don't like PP. Too inconsistent.

There is nothing wrong with the line lay on the original VS, if spooled properly the first time. Casting distance will be improved? Not unless they go with a new spool design, my VS matched to a St Croix Avid surf 9'(Suffix 832 30lb) will cast Bombers and other swimmers in the one oz range plenty far. I guess everyone who needed a fully sealed surf reel has one by now so VS needed a way to make more sales, thus the VSX.

There is nothing wrong with the line lay on the original VS, if spooled properly the first time. Casting distance will be improved? Not unless they go with a new spool design, my VS matched to a St Croix Avid surf 9'(Suffix 832 30lb) will cast Bombers and other swimmers in the one oz range plenty far. I guess everyone who needed a fully sealed surf reel has one by now so VS needed a way to make more sales, thus the VSX.

True Dat!!!

Marc

Been lusting after a VS for years and wouldn't cough up the dough -- but the 'new' series convinced my local tackle shop to 'dump' his remaining few of the old ones..........at a price I finally couldn't resist.

I'd tell you who it was 'cuz he's got one chrome 275 left, but he swore me to secrecy under pain of death, says the VS rep would disown him if they found out he was 'dumping' inventory at that price.

So, the plus side to the new "x-series"?   I finally got my very own VS reel. Thanks Van Staal !!!  

Here's a few

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/949526/should-you-buy-a-used-vs-with-vsx-on-the-way

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/954229/anybody-out-there-get-there-hands-on-the-vsx-yet

I picked up the current model at a decent discount when the prices on them were dropped. I don't see any benefit to the new version, the current one is fine.

Absolutely correct. Technically the only thing changing will be the shape of the line on the spool, it will be 'even' like the Zee. The line will go on exactly the same otherwise, Its not going to be like a stella or saltiga.

The internals are not changing significantly, they'll change a little to accommodate the new parts but they're not upgrading the gearing otherwise.

The drag will be a mild improvement. That's a bit of a weakness of the current models - it's an all/none sort of thing. The new ones are supposed to have a better range but not necessarily a higher top end.

I don't think the price drop on the old ones are any big secret. The local shop got approval from vs to drop the prices a while ago. It was about $100 off. That coupled with the price increase on the new ones is about a $200 difference, the upgrades aren't worth that imho (your mileage may vary).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew C. View Post

Absolutely correct. Technically the only thing changing will be the shape of the line on the spool, it will be 'even' like the Zee. The line will go on exactly the same otherwise, Its not going to be like a stella or saltiga.

The internals are not changing significantly, they'll change a little to accommodate the new parts but they're not upgrading the gearing otherwise.

The drag will be a mild improvement. That's a bit of a weakness of the current models - it's an all/none sort of thing. The new ones are supposed to have a better range but not necessarily a higher top end.

I don't think the price drop on the old ones are any big secret. The local shop got approval from vs to drop the prices a while ago. It was about $100 off. That coupled with the price increase on the new ones is about a $200 difference, the upgrades aren't worth that imho (your mileage may vary).

Thank you very much for this response, that just about answers all the questions I had about the VSX.