Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yardguy71

Jeep question

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Looking to buy a used SUV , either going with a Commander or a Cherokee .

Anyone have any issues with the V8 in the Jeeps ?

Any experience with Jeep Commanders ?

4.7 has some issues with valves dropping out. I've replaced 3-4 engines in customer's Jeep Cherokees....mid 2000's and up. Friend of mine runs an engine swap place in N.C. says it's a common problem with high mileage engines (4.7's in the 150,000 mile range). Valve drops, trashes the head, seen a couple trash the piston too. Only saw one with less than 120,000 miles do it though.

I just got rid of the 06' Commander I had for a couple years (6 cyl)

The fuel economy sucked.... I mean sucked bad even on the highway (about 16 MPG)

The sunroof drains would would Clog on a regular basis and flood the driver side foot-well with an inch or two of water.... it's a design flaw that Jeep is aware of but they don't give a sh*t dealer is more than happy to charge you $100 a pop to fix it evertime it happens... you can fix it on your own but you have to keep an eye on it... like it becomes regular maintenance meed

I cant say it wasn't reliable engine and drive-train wise and they certainly make a statement style wise

The 4.7 in the 2nd gen Grand Cherokee is known for having problems.  In the older Grand Cherokees, the 318 is a very reliable engine.  The 4.0 is a great engine, that with minimal care will probably last you longer than the truck itself.   A lot of low end torque.  My brother's beach rig(98 Grand Cherokee) has around 350K.  Still makes the 1300 mile round trip down to Hatteras without a hitch.  Tows his bass boat and skiff without a problem as well.  My last Cherokee was donated to a church kitchen at 252K.  My "new" Cherokee has 116K, but I bought that only a few months back.

I don't know anything about the Commander.  Not really up on the newer Hemi powered Jeeps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinambition View Post

I though for sure they would stuff a hemi in the JK and call that the renegade. that would be awesome

Seen a lot of those swaps.  Instead, they went with the Pentastar....but I know what I'd build if I had a spare 35-45K lying around.

I have the 5.7 Hemi in my 2013 Ram. You gotta really wind that thing up to around 4K rpm to get the variable valve timing to shift into "spit and git" mode, but when it does you better hold on. Most Jeeps built these days don't ever see offroad use, even the Wranglers. So the Hemi could be a lot of fun but I don't think it's a desirable engine for most off road use.

In general, any modern jeep other than the wrangler is trash. they depreciate faster than anything else out there. that tells you all ya need to know.

I just sunk a bunch of $$ into buying my house then my truck gets totaled and for the money I'm getting for my truck I can get a fairly decent Cherokee or Comander .

No decent Wranglers for what I have to spend

Why do you want a V8 in your Jeep? Just go get a 4.0L Cherokee and you'll be happy.

I don't want a V8 , I just saw a Cherokee and Commander limited with a v8 and didn't know any decent info on the 4.7L