Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RJ

Penn 710 Spinfisher Black reel with white drag knob

9 posts in this topic

I came across the above reel and it looks like a Greenie in black.

Any thoughts on it's worth? It will need a good cleaning and I'll need a recommendation for someone who is familiar with this product.

If it's a true Blackie and not a repaint you see them going between $50 for average to $300 and up for a new or mint in box. Some painted over Greenies on the auction sites. Beware if your buying.

Only the 710 and 711 were made in the Blackie as far as I know and only a very sparse production. I believe based on comment here that the 711 Blackie was only made for a few hours of production. Very collectable if a true 711 Blackie. You see the 710s from time to time but you have to be careful of re-paints.

Only the 710 and 711 were made in the Blackie as far as I know and only a very sparse production. I believe based on comment here that the 711 Blackie was only made for a few hours of production. Very collectable if a true 711 Blackie. You see the 710s from time to time but you have to be careful of re-paints.

Thanks jb - I don't think is is a paint job. I'm going to let Grumpy's reel guy disassemble it and tune it up. I believe it was bought new and used hard by a friend of mine. I'll get his history on it's purchase from him when I see him on Monday. It works, although a bit sluggish. Old grease, perhaps. It has spent the last decade sitting on a shelf or a bench in a wood shop. The bail roller side of the nickel plating is green lightly patterned with green caused by saltwater. It was a working reel in a fishing community near Sandy Hook. Most of my friends, boy hood buddies were sons of commercial crabbers, loberstermen and clammers. He and I did some tin boating out of little Monmouth Beach in the 70' and 80's pin hooking fresh fish after work. I want to clean it up and give it to him ready to fish when we put his boat back in next spring.

Thanks Moocks,, I may have been painted. I detected a paint brush hair in the paint and the medallion is goldish not silver. I'm going to clean it up and see how she works. drilling it and painting it a dark black or even burple might make it a unique Greenie. ;)