Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheSurfcaster78

Spoon / Umbrella Trolling Line

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

What brand, test, length of line / monel / backing s do you recommend for bunker spoon / umbrella rigs? Reels are 6/0 Penn Senators. Comments on rod type / brand / length are welcome. Thanks for your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSurfcaster78 View Post

What brand, test, length of line / monel / backing s do you recommend for bunker spoon / umbrella rigs? Reels are 6/0 Penn Senators. Comments on rod type / brand / length are welcome. Thanks for your inputs.

Red Senators and monel wire line are usually the ticket.  

Wireline rods are usually branded as bunker spoon rods.  It's an action that is specific for dragging bunker spoons.  

6/0 is kinda big. Penn 4/0 specials spooled with 300' of 30# Monel backed with 30# Ande was all I've ever needed.

Rig and jig rods are generally shorter and stouter than spoon rods which are longer, slower and softer to allow for the spoon to arc.

Carboloy guides and skip the roller tip.

Ok, here's more.

I've never had a problem with American Fishing Wire, but I'll use any monel (only! it's more forgiving) available, marked with red and white duct tape and wrapped with dental floss - white at 100', red at 150, white at 200, etc, topped with a quality swivel connected to 20' of 80# Ande - to a 200# coast or crosslock swivel.

The only time the swivel comes off is to jig parachutes. Tie direct :th:

Im sorry, looking at a deal on a pair of Penn Senator Reel 113H2SP which are 4/0 size.

Good call.

4/0 is the right reel, for me at least.

Chrome/Brass spool only, please.

Aluminum will not withstand the test of time.

The reaction between metals and salt water and all. :read:

:)

Here's more.

If budget is an issue, go with the spoon rods.

They'll also drag rigs, jigs, tubes and plugs, but not vise versa.

I can't comment on brand as I've been fortunate enough to go custom over the years.

Under wraps, carboloy guides and an over size tip.

Troll umbrellas with 50# braid and stiff rods.

Spoons need long parabolic action bunker spoon rods. Use 40# wire. Some guys also use braid with the spoons and a drail but I have not had much luck with it.

The Penns you are looking at will work and are pretty much the standard. Another option is the Shimano Tekota 700 or 800. The line counter options helps.

The tekota 800 lc (line counter) is a very often used reel. The daiwa saltist levelwind line counter is used. Penn 4/0 are used. A better option from penn is the fathom levelwind or penn squall level drag.

It also depends on what line you are using. Tony maja uses monel. It is expensive. Line counting braid is also an option. Knowing the amount of line out is important. Using braid allows you to use a different variety of reels because the corrosion issue isnt there, but you have to add more connections to the system like a drail.

I fish my umbrella rigs with 60lb mono. It seems unconventional and not approved by most who think that the stretch is going to inhibit it from reaching productive depths. However, a lot of times I am trolling them in less than 10-15 feet of water to the mono helps it ride higher and with a minimal amount of line out the stretch is not too noticeable. When it comes to trolling deeper depths, I just attach a trolling weight (4-6 oz.) directly in front of the rig. Also like everyone has said the senator 4/0 is a perfect reel for this. As far as bunker spoons go i use braid on a 3/0 senator with a glass rod. However I am by no means a top-notch spoon troller so there are probably better options than mine. I just use it because it is capable of doing many things other than the bunker spoon as well.

I don't know about trolling with braid or mono.

I want to know where my rig, jig, spoon or tube is.

General rule of thumb is 100' of wire gets you down 10 feet.

Rigs ride a bit higher, tubes a bit deeper and spoons on the money.

If you are going to dedicate time, effort and money into trolling, wire is the way to go.