Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cartopper

Pallone still here . . .

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Unbelievable, 62% of the vote. The sand will keep pumping, unless of course, a Republican run senate can stop the funding. We can only hope. Pallone has been a miserable failure for the people of NJ, but he's still here.

Unbelievable, 62% of the vote. The sand will keep pumping, unless of course, a Republican run senate can stop the funding. We can only hope. Pallone has been a miserable failure for the people of NJ, but he's still here.

If you really think Pallone getting voted out would have stopped beach replenishment, to be blunt, you have no clue about politics or government. There's a lot of money behind it at the federal level and no one person is going to stop it. If you think the Republican-run Senate wants to stop it, you're equally delusional. Democrats and Republicans are two sides of the same coin---the coin just goes into different pockets for a few years.

If you really think Pallone getting voted out would have stopped beach replenishment, to be blunt, you have no clue about politics or government. There's a lot of money behind it at the federal level and no one person is going to stop it. If you think the Republican-run Senate wants to stop it, you're equally delusional. Democrats and Republicans are two sides of the same coin---the coin just goes into different pockets for a few years.

Both having "no clue" and being "delusional" I would disagree with your worldly and expert opinion. Having Pallone voted out would have been impactful. His re-election confirms he serves the best interests of citizens in his district. And, btw, some of the state senators I know are opposed to the large scope of beach replenishment projects. But you're obviously the expert, so I yield to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartopper View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castaway1 View Post

Agree!  I have been around more politicians in my time as a working photojournalist then I care to admit from day to day photo opportunities to documenting entire campaigns.  I have been in and around this arena a long time, heard things, seen things and been involved in conversations that would make your head spin.  Let me just say it's all a game and a game that when played well sees politicians become powerful enough to stop projects but not one as big and with so many moving pieces as this one.

I also wanted to say that I love to fish and I fish all the time. Far more then the average angler.  Over the past few months I found many of the comments regarding the dredging project and Pallone's inability to stop pumping at "our" request to be a little ill guided. What exactly is the fight and what is truly more important?  Is protecting your favorite fishing spot more important then the many homes and businesses that that sand replenishment project protects?

I voted for Pallone because when you really dig into it he's done more for the shore in his time in office then many others combined.  He fought post sandy when my hometown's beach head, dunes and levy system was compromised to get the money and resources to fix the problem before the next storm came.  That diminished threat to my home, my life and my property I worked dam hard for means more to me then whether or not I'm able to fish my favorite fishing spot.  I can find fish anywhere. I will after the replenishment project is finished find new honey holes to which I can continue to enjoy my hobby.  A hobby I will never be able to truly enjoy if I'm picking up the pieces of a destroyed life if another storms comes along.  

My 2 cents.  

No one should think that Pallone was the slightest bit interested in "stopping" sand pumping. He fought to get it done.

Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr. (NJ-06) issued the following statement this afternoon in response to the announcement that the Army Corps of Engineers has completed its post-Superstorm Sandy beach repair and restoration projects along the Monmouth County coastline:

“The completion of these restoration projects along the New Jersey coastline in Monmouth County is a significant milestone in our recovery process after Superstorm Sandy. I fought hard in Congress to pass the Sandy relief package and to secure the aid needed to help victims put their businesses, homes and lives back together. I am grateful that towns in my district that were devastated by Sandy received much needed federal aid that enabled them to recover and rebuild from the historic storm.

“This funding has not only helped us rebuild in the wake of Sandy, but it has also allowed us to strengthen our local infrastructure and improve our beaches. These replenishment projects have made the Jersey Shore more resilient and will help reduce damages from future storms. There is still more work that needs to be done to restore communities throughout the state, but the completion of these projects shows real progress as we continue to rebuild. I look forward to a successful summer season at the revitalized Jersey Shore.”

Agree!  I have been around more politicians in my time as a working photojournalist then I care to admit from day to day photo opportunities to documenting entire campaigns.  I have been in and around this arena a long time, heard things, seen things and been involved in conversations that would make your head spin.  Let me just say it's all a game and a game that when played well sees politicians become powerful enough to stop projects but not one as big and with so many moving pieces as this one.

I also wanted to say that I love to fish and I fish all the time. Far more then the average angler.  Over the past few months I found many of the comments regarding the dredging project and Pallone's inability to stop pumping at "our" request to be a little ill guided. What exactly is the fight and what is truly more important?  Is protecting your favorite fishing spot more important then the many homes and businesses that that sand replenishment project protects?

I voted for Pallone because when you really dig into it he's done more for the shore in his time in office then many others combined.  He fought post sandy when my hometown's beach head, dunes and levy system was compromised to get the money and resources to fix the problem before the next storm came.  That diminished threat to my home, my life and my property I worked dam hard for means more to me then whether or not I'm able to fish my favorite fishing spot.  I can find fish anywhere. I will after the replenishment project is finished find new honey holes to which I can continue to enjoy my hobby.  A hobby I will never be able to truly enjoy if I'm picking up the pieces of a destroyed life if another storms comes along.  

My 2 cents.  

well said, and I agree with you. obviously going to get crushed for it around here since no one likes the idea of pumping sand and ruining our structure for fishing purposes, but a lot of times people seriously lack perspective

My 2 cents.  

Interesting narrative you have created . . . "protecting your favorite fishing spot more important then the many homes and businesses that that sand replenishment project protects". Please, that is ridiculous. The argument was against the broad scope of the project. Can some areas benefit from replenishment and building barriers to protect against storm surges. Sure. But how do you defend the replenishment of sand in the Elberon to Asbury Park area and many other areas. This is just not about protecting a fishing hole, but protecting an entire marine environment.

Also, people choose to live along the water and should accept the risk of coastal storms. Stopping the large scope of this wasteful and unnecessary beach nourishment project is not "ill guided", but warranted. I would go on about what Pallone fails to bring his district in proper representation, but this would need to move to the PG.

My 2 cents

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartopper View Post

Interesting narrative you have created . . . "protecting your favorite fishing spot more important then the many homes and businesses that that sand replenishment project protects". Please, that is ridiculous. The argument was against the broad scope of the project. Can some areas benefit from replenishment and building barriers to protect against storm surges. Sure. But how do you defend the replenishment of sand in the Elberon to Asbury Park area and many other areas. This is just not about protecting a fishing hole, but protecting an entire marine environment.

Also, people choose to live along the water and should accept the risk of coastal storms. Stopping the large scope of this wasteful and unnecessary beach nourishment project is not "ill guided", but warranted. I would go on about what Pallone fails to bring his district in proper representation, but this would need to move to the PG.

My 2 cents

This is where the difficulty comes. How best to decide what areas are to be protected and what areas aren't.   We have to look at the greater good and this is where the decision to move along with the replenishment project as a whole wins.   Ask common people on the street and they will generally agree it's a good thing.  Even at the expense of sand covered jetties and their individual ecosystems it's destroying.  I think it stinks too but at the same time I cannot get behind the "not in my backyard" mentality I've seen on SOL.   If we stood by this way of thinking we'd have left ourselves in a far to vulnerable position on many levels.   Finally... These are my last comments as those political in nature and this subject in general get too heated and I'm not trying to stir the pot.   I tried to keep my point on topic and focused on how having a stable barrier from storms impacts my life and why I feel replenishment is an important project.     

Certainly, pressphotog, you don't believe the beach replenishment project is a long-term solution? As long as your needs are met, Pallone will stay. I got it, you have your scraps.

"Starving dogs begging for scraps. The big picture is not important as long as we can get our scraps."

Certainly, pressphotog, you don't believe the beach replenishment project is a long-term solution? As long as your needs are met, Pallone will stay. I got it, you have your scraps.

"Starving dogs begging for scraps. The big picture is not important as long as we can get our scraps."

you beat me to it, they will never be able to stop the ocean by throwing sand at it. The beach clubs benefit from the sand as do the beach front property owners at the expense of the tax payers and the marine environment. Love the picture of Pallone standing by a jetty, are you kidding?

In short, the consensus by those opposed of the replenishment projects is that its a very expensive short term project. I tend to agree, looking at area's that were "replenish" months ago, so much sand has already been washed away and we haven't even had any serious storms yet. Long term solutions should be planned, not political quick fixes. And fyi its not a NJ problem, but it goes on over most of the east coast.

My 2 cents.  

Sorry but the replenishment will do little to stop another hurricane like "Sandy". If you're located near the coast then your home will be damaged and that's all there is to it.

Pallone is just wasting taxpayer money.