Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swood

Newbie with a question about surf rod

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I'm new here to the forum been looking around for info and there seems to be some serious knowledge here so I've got a question. I'm getting into surf fishing and I had an uncle give me a Lamiglas BSB 1363 M-2 11'. Can't find to much on this particilar model is this a good rod or too old. I've been looking at new rods but a good one can really set you back. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I was curious and found this.

The Lamiglas SB stands for Surf Blank. The 136 is the inches. The 3 or 4 # after is the rod power rating ( only compared to other Lamiglas blanks in the same series) The L, M, F, would stand for Light, Med, Fast.

The Lamiglas glass surf rods were called Super Cutters and the # then were SC1264 ect... I beleive that when Lamiglas stated making graphite blanks in the late `70's they changed the prefix to SB for all their surf glass blanks. They do this with many blanks, MB = Mag bass, BT Boat and troll, GSB= Graphite Surf Bar,SSU= Super Surf. they are all a prefix for their series.

N.E.R.B. North East Rod Builder

FCI Blanks & Rods

Which means it's an old rod, but you could use it to see if you like surf fishing.

yea like surffshr said its a goot rod to use to finish out the fall run with, and make sure you actually enjoy surf casting before you go run and drop 400$ on a nice surf rod.  then you could save your money through the winter and buy some quality surf gear if you are into it.  this sport you definelty get what you pay for.  it you are gonna fish a few times a monththen mayb u wont have to buy a van staal and lamiglas an st croix rods but if you are going to be a guy who fishes more then 5 times a week then buy the quality fishing gear instead of burning through 200$ reels  every season. its all an investment quality fishing reels and rods dont really loose there value. just my 2 cents.

tough question is it a spinner or conventional. depend on how long you keep that rod. You might get rid of it and get a better one soon. Shamiano. Penn, Diawa, make reels of varing prices that will work. someting in the 4000 to maybe 6000 size will probabably fit OK. Match size reel to rod and the amount of line at the lb test you want to use for the fish you are after. Bottom fishing mainly I use 17 or 20lb line. Look up shock line on internet. 40 to 50 lb line for the shock line Learn to tie an albright knot. Find a trustworthy tackle shop With someone who knows how to surf fish.

Thanks for the info much appreciated.Could you recommend a reel to pair with this rod.
if its a spinner a great beginner reel would be a penn spinfisher v 5500 lots of drag power a little heavier but u have a 11ft rod i think u said so that would balance out nice. 2 other reels that are nice are both penns the battle 2 or the conflict both in the 5000 range. Good starter reels. I would go with the spinfisher v 5500 fpr the extra 30$ i have the 4500 and has ton of drag for stripers. I still use it all the time an have dunked it all quite a few times and it keeps on going.

Another vote for the Penns. Good bang for the buck to get started. If you feel the need, you can buy a more expensive reel later when you know what you want.

Another vote for the Penns. Good bang for the buck to get started. If you feel the need, you can buy a more expensive reel later when you know what you want.
yeap thats what i did to figure out what kind of fishing i like best and how much i actually go. Which is about everyday or twice a day and i beat on my reels but also try to take care of them as best as possible but in the end i went van staal.

Thanks I'll look into some of those mentioned reels. I picked up a spheros 4000 at a yard sale recently I love the way the reel works would like a 6000 but don't think I'll find one for the $20 I paid for the 4000 on a 7' ugly stick...lol

Swood, I just purchased my first "serious" reel and like you asked around before I purchased. I ended up with the Penn spin fisher V the 6500 bail-less version. I am glad I did....it performs great and has taken some waves and no loss in performance . It is a little heavy as mentioned, but for the money I felt it was hard to beat. Just my 2 cents as a fellow newb haha