Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nalu22

For The Techies & Radio Buff's

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

My main role in the Communications Division is Network Administrator for fire, town, and police which keeps me inside the data center/my office mostly.

However, there are times when I help with our 800 Trunking System for fire, police, schools and DPW. We're cutting over to a new system the next couple of days.

So we borrowed a couple 800 system mobile stations from RI EMA for a few days, they reach 106' when fully deployed. So I spent the day trailering them around and setting them up with my director.

Great day to be outside!! :)

*Hopefully the pic's post in order from my panoramic shots*

~Kevin

-

-

So you do hot cut to the temp system until you get the new system back online?

The mobile stations are repeaters? Generator or battery power? Or battery with gen on demand to recharge? I see the big box up front, but doesn't look like any power cells...

I was friends with some radio buffs back in my Rescue days...they did some municipal work for the town, they had their cars all decked out with a zillion antennas, etc...

Cool stuff nonetheless.... :th:

AC power or diesel generator if no power, the cabinet holds the 800 radio system, they are not repeaters but actual 800 channels, it won't be a hot cut over.

If you look at the last picture on the door it's says "8 Tac 91" that will be one of the 800 channels we'll be using when down, "8 Tac 94" is the other channel. RI has 5 or 6 of these for emergency purposes or situations like ours, the two we set up yesterday were from Katrina.

My director is a huge Ham Radio nut, has the special license plate, console at his house, etc.

so that antenna goes straight up like a boner?

how stable is it when the wind blows? I don't see any guide wires anchored anywhere.

how stable is it when the wind blows? I don't see any guide wires anchored anywhere.

-

Yes it's quite phallic!

If you look at pics 3 & 4 (top down) the unit has 4 legs that come out, set up that way it's rated to 70mph. There are auger tie downs that can be added, which brings it up to a 100mph rating.

We'll only have this up for 3 maybe 4 days, no forecasted weather anywhere near 70mph this week.

Are you channeling number 12?? :huh:

Nalu, when you have to deploy these things is there a maximum wind speed they can go up in? how long does it take to deploy them and are they as cool as they look? I love stuff like this. :)

Nalu, when you have to deploy these things is there a maximum wind speed they can go up in? how long does it take to deploy them and are they as cool as they look? I love stuff like this. :)

The state told us they can go up in 30 to 40mph winds, 3 guys had it set in place, up, and transmitting within 30 minutes.

They are pretty cool! :)

The state told us they can go up in 30 to 40mph winds, 3 guys had it set in place, up, and transmitting within 30 minutes.

They are pretty cool! :)

Nice.......