Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
qgalantebarrett

Beverly MA

27 posts in this topic

water is cold, dress for it. Find deep water, drop offs, and bounce a 3-4oz bucktail dressed with a clam or gulp. Take pictures of the cod you catch and post em here. Rockport cape ann area or Nahant may be better suited to find deep water drop offs and rock and not have to paddle or peddle for miles. If you have the skills to get the job done and get home in one piece go for it. Pick your days and carry a radio you'll be fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post

water is cold, dress for it. Find deep water, drop offs, and bounce a 3-4oz bucktail dressed with a clam or gulp. Take pictures of the cod you catch and post em here.

I don't have a fish finder to find those drop-offs. I'm mostly going to stay near shore. How deep of water are you talking about? never caught a cod. But it would be fun I'm sure.

Just make sure to dress up for the weather, and don't go way out if you are by yourself.

Have fun and get some fish.

And by "dress up for the weather" that means you need to be wearing immersion protection... dry suit, dry top w/waders, or wet suit. If you can't go stand in the water up to your neck for 5 minutes in what you are wearing, you aren't wearing what you should be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slacker View Post

And by "dress up for the weather" that means you need to be wearing immersion protection... dry suit, dry top w/waders, or wet suit. If you can't go stand in the water up to your neck for 5 minutes in what you are wearing, you aren't wearing what you should be.

My favorite dry suit is gore-tex Kokatat with gore-tex socks.

keep in mind I am 13. not going anywhere too far

Well there you go. Your not ready to take on big water yet. Soon you will. What are you wearing for clothing right now while kayak fishing?

keep in mind I am 13. not going anywhere too far

You have to get very real very quick. I think kayaking is a great sport and they can be used to go fishing in. But primarily you must first become a competent Kayaker. Having someone on shore is better than nothing but not much. You are just about the most vulnerable craft there is on the sea. I have friends who have nearly died when kayaking and were only a mile from shore.

If you want to stay safe please get signed up for a recognised and certified Kayak training course.

The attraction of kayaks is that the basic craft itself is pretty inexpensive but the clothing and training add considerable costs but without making that investment you take huge and what should be considered unacceptable risk.

Whilst staying or wanting to stay close to shore is a good idea the wind and sea and tide might have other ideas.

Some real good advice for you above to. Please heed it and then you can have a ton of fun safely.

Mike

Well there you go. Your not ready to take on big water yet. Soon you will. What are you wearing for clothing right now while kayak fishing?

You have to get very real very quick. I think kayaking is a great sport and they can be used to go fishing in. But primarily you must first become a competent Kayaker. Having someone on shore is better than nothing but not much. You are just about the most vulnerable craft there is on the sea. I have friends who have nearly died when kayaking and were only a mile from shore.

If you want to stay safe please get signed up for a recognised and certified Kayak training course.

The attraction of kayaks is that the basic craft itself is pretty inexpensive but the clothing and training add considerable costs but without making that investment you take huge and what should be considered unacceptable risk.

Whilst staying or wanting to stay close to shore is a good idea the wind and sea and tide might have other ideas.

Some real good advice for you above to. Please heed it and then you can have a ton of fun safely.

Mike

I usefully use a thermal pair of pants then pants and a fleece then winter jacket. not much. I did see a reply about dry suits. other than keep you dry, are there any advantages? they seem very expensiv

Mike

what extra stuff would I need? if you don't mind giving me a list it would be greatly appreciated. I will definitely look into the kayak safety course.