Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
condor

Stubby needlefish help?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I need your help.

I have read here a lot of info about ss lures and how effective they are. Especiallly the little neck popper and the zigzag, but not about stubby. This is as effective as the penciIs or littleneck? I had love to find a video of How to move this lure, not a description, because my english in very basic. I know this is a very extrange request, but I hope someone can help me. I have seen the video of a fisherman moving a littleneck popper and a pencil.

Thanks in advance

I use the Bullet when it's really windy, the fish are way out there or they're feeding on smaller bait.  I use a dressed siwash on the back for a little more seductive action and just reel it with a slow to moderate retrieve.

I haven't had a ton of success with these, but they sure are fun to cast!  

I had great luck with the gibbs stubby in the past not so with the SS. Slow steady crank is what I like on the gibbs. If you are up for trying one, do your self a favor and buy a bright colored one and go down to the water. A quieter piece of water will allow you to see what the plugs does easier. With light line and a snap tied to it attach the plug, give it a short 50 ft cast begin a slow retrieve and watch for it just below the surface (not plowing the surface). The Gibbs stubby has a distinct subsurface constant wobble to it if you can get the slow speed right with a bow in the line. You really will barely feel the plug. It will be almost weightless and seem like it's gliding through the water on it's own and all your doing is taking in the slack line. That's what your looking for. It's easier to create with no leader and light line in order to see it work. So try it this way to see it and then you can try it on your typical outfit with the leader of choice (always use a snap) and adjust your speed accordingly to get this effect. It's a plug that requires a lot of patience to use this way. It's size makes it very effect because it represents the size of a lot of inshore baits. It casts very well so it gives you a great tool to punch through wind or cover a lot of water. It's really a great tool to have in your bag both day and night. It does deliver a teaser well but it by itself is a great lure.

The Super Strike stubby has been an effective lure for me. The heavier model with the single bucktail hook casts like a bullet. Since I fish it in the fast Canal current, it pretty much stays on top, and I pop it and swim it along just fast enough to keep it at the surface or just under.

I had great luck with the gibbs stubby in the past not so with the SS. Slow steady crank is what I like on the gibbs. If you are up for trying one, do your self a favor and buy a bright colored one and go down to the water. A quieter piece of water will allow you to see what the plugs does easier. With light line and a snap tied to it attach the plug, give it a short 50 ft cast begin a slow retrieve and watch for it just below the surface (not plowing the surface). The Gibbs stubby has a distinct subsurface constant wobble to it if you can get the slow speed right with a bow in the line. You really will barely feel the plug. It will be almost weightless and seem like it's gliding through the water on it's own and all your doing is taking in the slack line. That's what your looking for. It's easier to create with no leader and light line in order to see it work. So try it this way to see it and then you can try it on your typical outfit with the leader of choice (always use a snap) and adjust your speed accordingly to get this effect. It's a plug that requires a lot of patience to use this way. It's size makes it very effect because it represents the size of a lot of inshore baits. It casts very well so it gives you a great tool to punch through wind or cover a lot of water. It's really a great tool to have in your bag both day and night. It does deliver a teaser well but it by itself is a great lure.
Nice insight redfin.....

Great lure for teaser delivery....

+1

Right around Columbus Day weekend, This was my successful setup. Black/green Bullet trailing a yellow or black epoxy teaser. Every fish on teaser.

I am a plug ho and a needlefish addict but I don't own a single stubby of any kind.

They aren't the sexiest looking lures out there. I mean Don's plugs or a BM needle certainly grab the eye first when loading the bag. I just gave the Bullet a shot one night when the wind was right in my face and I knew fish were there. Probably could have used a 3oz bank sinker. All fish were on the teaser.

They aren't the sexiest looking lures out there. I mean Don's plugs or a BM needle certainly grab the eye first when loading the bag. I just gave the Bullet a shot one night when the wind was right in my face and I knew fish were there. Probably could have used a 3oz bank sinker. All fish were on the teaser.

Exactly...

And the bank sinkers costs $0.37

As always, your answers are very usefull.

Redfin a bunch of interest info, tks.;)

I agree with Drew C, use a lure only like a bank sinker is not the better invest.

I just have two colors, black and green over yellow, both whit trebles in rear. Change for siwash on rear and attach a teaser will the next probe and I will tell you how run the lure in our waters, big waves all the time.

Again, thanks all of you for your knowledge and time.

Regards.

:)

Exactly...

And the bank sinkers costs $0.37

very true........but it's nice to know the "deliverer" has a hook on it also................