Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
qgalantebarrett

EP flies

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Here in Salem, the striper season is coming to an end, and I'm on my vise everyday, anticipating the oncoming season. I usually like to set goals for myself, and this winter I hope to try to perfect my EP flies. 1822990

Please let me know how I am doing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishEastCarolin View Post

Look good, I just picked up some EP and wanna try some myself. Did you weight the shanks at all?

on these ones I did not, but now that I think of it, it would help the fly sink. Ill try that on my next couple

I'm not a fan of weighting these patterns.  I think you get the most out of them by fishing them on a sink tip or intermediate tip line.  They behave much more naturally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crs2006 View Post

I'm not a fan of weighting these patterns.  I think you get the most out of them by fishing them on a sink tip or intermediate tip line.  They behave much more naturally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottlewis View Post

I agree; they definitely look better in the water when they are not weighted and instead fished with a sink-tip...

I usually fish with a sink tip. thanks for the tip!

Your off to a great start . I cant get the trimming right for the life of me .

I was awful at it first. But it's all about practice

As a general rule with trimming a synthetic fly, it is best to trim from the back of the fly towards the front. Never from the front of the fly back. For one, the materials will fold inward to the hook shank and you'll end up with cutting materials you hadn't intended. But as mentioned by qg, it take practice.

As a general rule with trimming a synthetic fly, it is best to trim from the back of the fly towards the front. Never from the front of the fly back. For one, the materials will fold inward to the hook shank and you'll end up with cutting materials you hadn't intended. But as mentioned by qg, it take practice.

thanks for the tip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by M. saxatilis View Post

Thanks the next time I try tying them again I'll do that I was starting from the front and going back.

Just an fyi, I got my hands on the new sculpting flash fiber from the people who distribute ferrar blend. Just a little coarser than EP, and blended with flash. Comes in packs roughly 3 times the size of a pack of EP for the same price. I like it.

Wow, great looking fly. Material looks nice and at that price I will try it, refuse to pay that Amount for EP. thanks for heads up.
It's available with and without flash, in something like 60 colors. Super easy to work with.