Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Delzea

painting jigheads

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

i got a good deal on some unfinished jigheads and i'm gonna airbrush paint them and than a coat of epoxy.

i picked up some self etching primer and i'm gonna try that out

i'm a full dress salmon fly tyer and i make blind eye hooks for them.i use phosphoric acid to etch the hooks prior to japaning and i was thinking of using the phos acid prior to painting the jigheads

my 2 concerns are health issues using the pa on lead as well as any concerns weakening the hooks from the acid.even if i'm careful to not get any on the hook i think i'll still get it on the eye.

the acid does an awesome job preparing metal surfaces for painting.

anyone familiar with the etching primer-

any advice from anyone

i have probably 25 colors of airbrush paints so i figured why not use them.

with the cost of the powder paints the jigheads wouldn't be such a good deal anymore-may as well just bought them painted

plus i've been spending a little too much lately so i didn't

Why not just powder paint them?

That would be my suggestion too. Given that you do not want to powder paint, may be hit the heads with some rustoleum spray paint in flat white, then airbrush and epoxy coat. Have never tried the acid stuff that you mentioned, so cannot comment on that.

I use my girlfriends old and discarded nail polish. Now I have about forty different colors including the ones with different colored glitter in it. Then I finish the head off in clear. The finish hold up well. I even cover some of my spoons with the glitter nail polish. Once you use the nail polish on lead jig heads it can't be used for humans anymore, it become contaminated ............I read some where that some guys make lures out  of the top of the bottles that hold the brushes..    

I do the same as teacher, I could not find any gold jig heads in the size I wanted so I just used some Sally hard as nails gold nail polish it held up pretty good, I did not even epoxy afterwards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delzea View Post

thats a good idea-using nail polish

any preping/priming the surface or just straight nail polish

No preparation needed, one or two coats and your done. What nice about this after you are done fishing you wash off the salt water,let the jig head dry and now repaint it and it's new again.... 

You are over thinking the preparation procedure buddy....

With jigs keeping thing simple is the way to go....

I usually powder paint as the "foundation" and take it from there... "but" with the Ultra minnow type raw jig heads I take a different approach because I don't want to cover up the scales and details in the lead of the minnow style jig with thick layers of power paint...

heres what I do...

a) Get some disposable rubber dish washing gloves from the supermarket 2 bucks... put those on ..

b) Get a scotch brite sponge with the abrasive dark green side and manually buff up the jigs to take off the corroded dark outer thin micro layer of lead.. You dont need to make them all 100% shinny and the whole process takes about 30 seconds for each jig...

c) get your self some "Aluminum base" createx paint...(fine grain) use your airbrush and spray a base coat of that on all your jigs....

d) Then use short strip Opaque white or white pearl on the bottom side belly of the lure... this emulates the belly lighter colors...

e) Then you can dress up the backs of the lures with some soft layers of colored paints creating a transparent effect that will show off the aluminum base undercoat gleaming through. This is a great minnow effect that really fools them. Go with chartreuse, blue, yellow, brown "all the fishy colors"..

f) Hit the chin of the jig (which is now painted white due to the belly painting you did) with a "little dash of red" for the gills effect...

then clear coat make some coffee and enjoy the finished effect which will be very beautiful...because you will see all the scales and gill plate feature in the lead head but will have enhanced them with colors....

Have fun...

Warmest Regards

Awesome John

I've had jigs sitting around for months and powder coated them w/o doing any prep work. Unless you gat some type of oil on them, never had an issue.

All my jigs, be it 2 or 5 colors, are from powder paint. White base coat on all of them but black. I know others that use powder white base, the spray paint the other colors. After coating them with what ever clear coats they use, they hold up pretty well.

I have used the finger nail polish method for years I do not sell my lures and I make enough that if I chip one I disgard it or repaint it. For a base coat I have used rust-oleum gloss white seem to be compateble with the finger nail polish. But now I have goten into using Powder Paint. I use wooden dowels of various sizes to make the eyes, I dip the size dowel I want into the paint and press it onto the lure practice makes perfect. Lou

I just used vinyl dip paint on my bucktails. I found it very thick when you dipped it. Much easier to just paint with small brush. You will find it is best to put base coat of white first, then if you are painting it a color to apply that color.

You didn't say if you tried painting them with your airbrush to see if you need to do anything at all.....sounds like a lot of potentially unnecessary work dealing with acid etc.  I airbrush with Createx and top coat with etex....done.  Tried powder, vinyl, spray cans etc and prefer this method.