Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yosco

Surf Pliers

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

My Van staal titaniums, had them for about 10 years. Yes they are expensive but worth it . I fish somewhere around 100+ times a year, no problems with them ever. I do wish the cutters were a little better

Hansom makes a good plier for the price. The sheath ain't worth a damn but that's easy to replace.

+1 on that! Pliers are great, sheath leaves something to be desired. Carabiner and clip started rusting almost immediately on me.

I too have the VS 6", pricey yes but again we get what we pay for.

For me and with most of my fishing equipment the objective has always been to have the lightest equipment without compromising strength or sturdiness.

But if cash is a concern, as it sometimes is for some of us, we buy what we can afford, period!

Just my 2 cents

There are sargent sportsmans......then everything else.

for 100 bucks you get them and a aquaskins hunter plier holster.......

The hansoms are nice....but the sargents are far more capable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydoo View Post

+1  ----  Awsome product, two different design cutters, actually made to cut hooks. If in market Google and look at the design

Are the sargent pliers good for swimming?

Are the sargent pliers good for swimming?

Tough call...the line cutters will corrode if not rinsed....I left my first pair unwashed for a few months and they turned black and pitted.. and the jaws developed some spotty rust....But i don't wash my gear....at all....other than in the rain. .I don't think they are as fish and forget as some brands. But for 99% of surfcasters they will perform better than any other plier out there. The second pair (replaced after cutter broke while attempting to cut a 4x 9/0 gami) hasn't had any corrosion issues....but I've wiped them down every couple weeks with an old rag used for wiping grease and oil off my reel maintenance work bench.

They have a hole in the hook cutter that can also be used to tighten knots.....or...what i like....making a perfect starting bend in a haywire twist.

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/927689/sargent-pliers

a good thread about them....and pics of when i blew them up....

When i go tuna fishing...one of my friend occasionally brings his young kids......I tested the limits of their cutting capabilities...just to see if one of the kids got hooked....should i just grab the bolt cutters first...or would the pliers work......Mustad hoodlum 4x 8/0 hooks are a very strong hook. More bendy than brittle than a 4x gami...but makes short work of any vmc i tested.

My only complaints are no stock lanyard hole...and the grips can get slippery...i think sanding the plasticote might remedy this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sterny View Post

Just be careful with the cutters. I went to cut a hook last night and mistakenly used the line cutters and chipped the blade.

When new they come with two sets of spair cutters

VS titaniums are the best, but very pricy. VS Stainless Steels are a solid 1a. ive had mine for 6 years and used them on 100+ outings year, I just replaced my cutters this year.

Hansom plier jaws twist, the springs cause torque. Tsunami and Calcutta pliers are ok for fresh water. Accurate pliers are ok, but not as good as VS SS. Ive had Cabela's Guides Choice and literally snapped the jaws while on Block Island. Browning pliers are a decent low cost option.

Just an FYI about all aluminum pliers with steel jaws/cutters, saltwater causes galvanization between the metals and weakens it.

don't cheat yourself.

Buy cheap then keep buying and buying some more. You can find a used pair of VS pliers here on SOL for a fair price. I fish the canal, surf, and swim out to rocks when fishing. The VS will last you forever and if you decided they are not for you. Selling them isn't going to be difficult and probally for the same price you purchased.