Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NightTide

What Wetsuit is the best for Fishing?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

X2 on wetsuit warehouse. I got mine from there. I have a BARE sport 5 mil. What you really have to ask yourself is when/what time of year you will be fishing most. If you had to get one wetsuit, I'd recommend going with a 5 mil at least. You'll be able to fish comfortably from late May through October, maybe early November depending..

bare wetsuits are nice, Henderson hyperflex are the most comfortable, Neosport Xspan are the bargain label hyperflex wetsuits - I have a 3 mil and 5mil Neosport, they are inexpensive and really awesome.

check out leisure pro

Deepwaters is spot on in terms of when and where and at what time of the year.

Casting in a wet suit that has poor stretch across the shoulders is purgatory. Even the best suits will cause resistance to movement.

5mm in a high end suit will allow you to fish in cold water temps. The problem with your budget is that a low end wet suit will always be a real pain unless you are fishing in warm air and warm water.

Higher end surfers wet suits will give the required performance needed for what we do. If you could hold back a little and try and get a few more $ together you will never regret it. O'Neil is a good maker if you are std sort of size. They tend not to cater for very large Guys.

Welded seams or at least blind lock stitching will help reduce cold repeated flushing of the suit. The best suits let in very little water.

If fishing standing only waist deep or perched on a rock wind is the big enemy of even the best wet suits. A dry top or kayak jacket is then your best friend.

Great tools I love fishing in wet suits.

Have fun

Mike

Agreed, go to your local surf shop and try on a few, a 5/4mm will keep you in the game for most of the season. Surfing wetsuits are made for paddling, not unlike casting

I will give Surf suits a leg up in flexibility and wind durability. The opposite side of that though is the super stretch suits. I am a thick dude and I sweat constantly. I rock my 5 mil suit until mid May and again around Halloween. 3 mil between then, unless I'm just wearing board shorts and a rash guard.

I have O'Neill Mutant 5/4 Hooded Wetsuit for 6 years now and it's great you can use it with the hood or with out, easy on and off flexible front zipper. you will find it for about $340 now.

johnnycakes,

Two piece probably work well for rather large and dare I day it very fat Guys. But why is it Surfers don't wear them or at least I don't see any wearing them. My one piece 5mm which is the equivalent of older 6mm suits is good down to 5C that's very frigid water. Would not want to be in air of that temp mind.

Apart from quality in a suit for it to work properly the fit has to be bang on. Mail order and sizing charts are a sure way to disaster. For first time Guys it is not easy to know if a suit is too tight or too loose and a lot of trust is needed with the supplier of the suit to ensure it fits perfectly. There after you know what you are doing. It is first time around too easy to go for a suit that is probably too loose. Suits will always feel a tad tight and constrictive. You get used to it.

Mike

Mike I am a big guy but in 70 degree temps I wear the bottoms and a rash guard. 60 degree I wear the top and bottom. Mine is a 2-3 mill so both pieces give me 6 mill on my core. 50 degrees add a wet top. Colder than that add a heater top. That's all with one wet suite. You cant do that with a one pc suit. If you swim the heavy core is good for flotation.

I have a pile of wetsuits but use them for surfing not fishing. Xcel is a very popular brand amongst surfers. I find O'neil to be more flexible but Xcel seems more durable. With surf wetsuits in general, the higher end suits tend to be the least durable as they are made with softer, stretchier neoprene. Even a low end surf suit is going to be way more comfortable / flexible that a dive suit. I'd recommend a low end to mid-range surf suit from any reputable company (O'neil, Xcel, Rip Curl). And try them on if you can, I find certain brands fit me and others really don't. Support your local surf shop!

Mike I am a big guy but in 70 degree temps I wear the bottoms and a rash guard. 60 degree I wear the top and bottom. Mine is a 2-3 mill so both pieces give me 6 mill on my core. 50 degrees add a wet top. Colder than that add a heater top. That's all with one wet suite. You cant do that with a one pc suit. If you swim the heavy core is good for flotation.

Johnny

This is true. The biggest issue I have with my one piece 5mm winter grade suit is the very warm Falls you get on the east coast and even in Cape Cod in the spring compared to UK sea water temps which are much lower. Montauk the sea is practically like pea soup to us Guys. There is a very real need to ensure proper hydration takes place when its warm and you start to feel it inside a wet suit. Summer time I have to unzip and let in water to cool down after a mile long walk out onto a Bay Side flat. Floatation is not an issue with one piece suits in fact its a devils own game trying to find your feet once rolled over LOL

I still prefer one piece suits for me but the cost to have three 5mm suits which I bring over to M plus say two 3/4 mm suits is more than my pocket can stand. Plus the weight means extra baggage costs with airlines.

It makes sense for anyone considering a wet suit to do their homework to establish for them if its a one piercer or a two piercer.

Wet suit shampoo is a kina of a must to unless you enjoy being a total Loner.:)

Mikey

Where were you in M this year?