Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JimG

Does anyone else think elections should be a holiday or on Saturdays

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I mean I can get there and vote but I know plenty of people who leave at sun up and get home after the sun is down. ...and many days that's me but I generally have some flexibility in my job.

I also notice most of the people working the polls or voting are over 60 and retired. Are we letting those silver haired devils control our destiny?

its not like this country has a lot of holidays - is one Tuesday in November to exercise our civic duty such a bad idea?

its a pretty precious right and we have people running to their polls after work or before work. Its not like we all work in our home town where we can vote.

I couldn't agree more. Our voting percentages are embarrassing. However, I'm not sure there's much of a net gain. The people that don't vote, you generally don't want voting anyway.

With early voting, at least in my area, there is really no excuse not to vote.

I just got back...I had to just wait a second, wifey and I were 2nd and 3rd in line, and I was in and out in 15 minutes.

Line had grown behind me to about 10 or so....working men, for the most part.

I have no problem with opening up the polls for several days before hand if more folks take advantage of it.

I mean I can get there and vote but I know plenty of people who leave at sun up and get home after the sun is down. ...and many days that's me but I generally have some flexibility in my job.

I also notice most of the people working the polls or voting are over 60 and retired. Are we letting those silver haired devils control our destiny?

its not like this country has a lot of holidays - is one Tuesday in November to exercise our civic duty such a bad idea?

its a pretty precious right and we have people running to their polls after work or before work. Its not like we all work in our home town where we can vote.

I have a feeling less folks would vote if it was held on the weekends..

There was no one there when I voted today. I raced a senior in from the parking lot and when i got there I opened the door and let him in first, walked in behind him and everyone (meaning the volunteers) looked up at us like we were delivering pizza or something

No lines whatsoever.

I was the youngest guy in the room by a long shot and I'm 46.

It was kind of sad. it is a mid term but .. cmon

Got there when the polls opened and there were a couple people there but I was #1 in my district. Not sure it would be a big benefit to have it on weekends when early mail in voting is allowed and it's easy to get a ballot. I am sure in many places getting people to staff a polling center on multiple days would be hard.

There is early voting, there is absentee ballot, etc.  Election days are scheduled out for the next 5 years.  Start planning now.  Everyone that wants to vote can vote. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimG View Post

A day off would be nice though. just sayin'

... the revered 40-hour workweek is for losers. Forty hours should be considered the minimum, not the maximum. You don't see highly successful people clocking out of the office every afternoon at five. The losers are the ones caught up in that afternoon rush hour. The winners drive home in the dark.

Neal Boortz

A day off would be nice though. just sayin'

... the revered 40-hour workweek is for losers. Forty hours should be considered the minimum, not the maximum. You don't see highly successful people clocking out of the office every afternoon at five. The losers are the ones caught up in that afternoon rush hour. The winners drive home in the dark.

Neal Boortz

Neil is mistaken.

The truly driven folks are driving to work in the dark too, not just home.

Neal Boortz

Not sure where you are going with this. if you work - you work. All work is respected. If you take care of you and your family than I don't judge.

I don't need Neal Boortz or any other radio host (as if thats work) judging what the minimum amount of hours anyone should work. GFYS Neal

Neal would probably fall down and cry trying to do my job after 4 weeks.

its a pretty precious right.

I haven't formed an opinion about Election Day becoming a national holiday.

I do favor moving Election Day to a day that is the most convenient for most voters to go to the polls.

I think that having more than one Election Day devalues the franchise; Election Day is a special day that signifies consent of the governed and individuals' self-determination.