Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

25% of rattlesnake bites are dry bites

Rate this topic

85 posts in this topic

Crazy, right? :squid: 1/4 of the time, they bite you but decide not to inject any venom - I never knew they had a choice :b:

So if you ever get bit by a rattlesnake - and they choose to inject their venom - it's personal :eek:

TimS

I think I knew they had some control over it,

didn't know that 25% was dry.

that's kind of crazy, but makes sense I guess.

not sure how long it takes to "refill"........

a dry defensive bite probably gets the point across too.......

though I thought that was what the rattle was for.

Crazy, right? :squid: 1/4 of the time, they bite you but decide not to inject any venom - I never knew they had a choice :b:

So if you ever get bit by a rattlesnake - and they choose to inject their venom - it's personal :eek:

TimS

Those odds would never be in my favor. I can't even hit on a scratch ticket. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMunn View Post

Those odds would never be in my favor. I can't even hit on a scratch ticket. biggrin.gif

yup,

"The snake envenomated you with ALL it had, then stayed locked on to make more".

TimS

Like so many things in life....

i think most if not all the pit vipers have this ability. rattlers defensive like your fat cousin who never married. just built mean. danger danger. you dont hear or fear the rattle, oh he'll bite ya. as with most things, it comes down to intent.

dont try it with the bad snakes tho. like mambas & rear fanged types. its always a hot bite with those guys, and way worse venom. sure, ask me anything ive had natgeo for years :th:

I bet the pissed off ones probably keep it around 10% dry bites :scared:

Probably takes a lotta ones that bite you and then say they were just kidding around to keep the average down to 25% ;)

TimS

Rattlesnakes are dangerous.

Visiting family in Buffalo Gap, Tx, one of the kids hollered "RATTLESNAKE!!!", I jumped up and ran head first into a low hanging tree branch.

No stitches, but a nice egg and gash that lasted the rest of the trip.

And they are good eating. :)

babies tim, its the immature ones always throwing venom. almost every time

big mature snakes know better. and that if they shoot their goo on me or you, the rat might get away :squid:

I've seen pictures of snake bites. the skin and interior flesh actually rots! nasty stuff Man. I know why I'm afraid of snakes and bloodworms(bit as a kid)sandworms, dogs and those little pill bugs because I know they can bite but just don't............. :)