Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SeaRat2

Amateur Fishing Hour (HELP)

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I had my share of Skunk this Fall with mainly Fluke,Sea Bass and Blues. I have yet nailed a cow striper, so I come to you guys for advice on what to bring on a fishing trip with my friends. My friends are all amateur including  myself and we are planning to take a trip tonight, "out at sea". I completely don't know where they plan on going or what type of fish we are focusing on, but the question remains. "WHAT SHOULD I BRING ON THIS TRIP TO THE UNKNOWN?" 

ATTENTION:

I NEED TO BRING HOME A FISH

WIFE IS STARTING TO THINK I AM FISHING A DIFFERENT TYPE OF FISH

CURRENT SITUATION

Going on a friends Yacht so everything is practically ducktaped with garabage bags.

Friend note we going to go pretty far out at sea

Need to bring A Game

NEED ADVICE ON HOW TO FISH ON A BOAT AND WHAT TO DO WITH THE DIFFERENT TYPE OF FISH ON FISHFINDER?

PLEASE HELP

As an inexperienced fisherman on a boat start off by following other boats, see where the action is.  OR go to your local bait station and ask the vendor what bait to purchase and active fishing locations...........

This sounds like a skunking in the making and hopefully not some sort of serious disaster as well. I'm going to be very frank with you, it sounds like you are very inexperienced. Inexperienced beyond the point of just giving you some fishing tips. There is no way anyone here is going to be able to help you catch a fish by handing over some ideas. I know a lot of guys think hopping in a boat ensures catching but it doesn't.

To be honest, hopefully someone on your boat at least has boating experience because being out at night in a boat is not the place to be while learning boating skills. It's also not a great time/place to be learning fishing skills. I am not the kind of guy who likes going on a charter boat fishing trip but it sounds like that would be a good place for you to start. Or if you can find someone who does know what is going on you should beg them to go. It will payoff for you 10 fold.

I am not trying to be discouraging. Everyone who boat fishes well had to start out somewhere. I'm just hoping I have pointed you in a better direction to start out on. Mistakes at sea can be costly or downright deadly. Be safe and if something doesn't seem right play it safe.

John

Skunk again... only caught dog fish and skate. The guy who own the yacht been boating for years in New Jersey. I wouldn't considered myself a experience boater compared to you guys because my experience only been in the state of Florida and Georgia for 2-3 years while i was on Active Duty. I am coming from a different type of fishing area where lures were all the rave off boats. After spending most of the Fall Skunked, I just gave up hope on scoring any cows this fall. I just can't wait to go home in December and start fishing in the gulf again in the winter. I just trying to get some tips on how you guys do it up here

Skunk again... only caught dog fish and skate. The guy who own the yacht been boating for years in New Jersey. I wouldn't considered myself a experience boater compared to you guys because my experience only been in the state of Florida and Georgia for 2-3 years while i was on Active Duty. I am coming from a different type of fishing area where lures were all the rave off boats. After spending most of the Fall Skunked, I just gave up hope on scoring any cows this fall. I just can't wait to go home in December and start fishing in the gulf again in the winter. I just trying to get some tips on how you guys do it up here

Don't give up. just get on a party boat.

Spend a few extra bucks and jump on an open boat 6 pack trip. The mate and captain should and most likley teach you some basics from knot tying rigging and fishing.

Dont you tube it and think this way should work.

Listen watch and do it hands on.

Everyone figures it out one way or another but on a yaht wrapped up in a condom is no way to learn.

Assuming you are in NJ I can recomend a few boats to learn from.

Good luck.

Ya should've taken Bellringer like he asked. :beatin: