Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
codfish

Favorite style jighead for the Cape Cod Canal

Rate this topic

99 posts in this topic

Eagles Dare, now that is a very interesting Mold for sure. That is one style jig head i have never seen before. That looks like the hook will always up and not turn while jigging?:D

Looks about as snag-resistant as a jig can be .... what size hooks in there?
I have personally contributed dozens of Savage eels to the bottom of the ditch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianBM View Post

Looks about as snag-resistant as a jig can be .... what size hooks in there?

8/0 straight shank (Mustad 3407 or equivalent) and a #2 eye.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clambellies View Post

Nice Mold, who makes it?

cnc-works on EBay, who I believe is Shawn Collins Custom. Sure looks like one of his molds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.R. Bridge Fisher View Post

Eagle's that looks great can you show one rigged?

Not my mold R.R , just a picture from the big auction site.

I have found the Savage heads to be extremely good for catching, but probably the easiest to snag on the debris on the bottom of the canal.  I like them because i learned to jig on the sandy bottoms of Race Point where you want a little debris to spring up with each jig, but this can be a costly form of jigging in the canal, although effective.  

The round style jig head, probably the most basic mold has probably caught less overall big fish for me, but remain probably the best style jig head for getting out snags and not losing gear to the canal gods.  It's tough because you can't buy these style heads with anything painted on them, but they are still plenty effective.

IMO, the best all around jig heads are the Bill Hurley heads.  They're painted and pointed like the savage heads, so they still dig into sand and debris on the ocean floor, but the slightly more rounded head seems to get snagged less than the savages.  Also, the pointed heads seem to be slightly easier to reel off of the bottom, which saves alot of energy during a full night and morning of jigging.

Where do you guys buy your jig molds and supplies to make your own jigs?  Also, is there a certain type of paint and painting technique to use to add an eel style head to the jig heads?

Eagle's that looks great can you show one rigged?

Not my mold R.R , just a picture from the big auction site.

Cool jighead. Something tells me we will be seeing that jig on the Canal next season.:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by aglenn View Post

Where do you guys buy your jig molds and supplies to make your own jigs?  Also, is there a certain type of paint and painting technique to use to add an eel style head to the jig heads?

I usually just powder paint the head black for an "eel style". But you can get fancy with stick-on eyes, 2-tone powder paint, nail polish, sharpies, or whatever else you want to try.

I'd suggest keeping an eye on the CT regional forum for "Leadfest 2015". A bunch of us get together in late March or early April to share molds, techniques, supplies, food, and good times.  Here's the thread from last years event:

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/929792/ct-leadfest-4-12/60

Otherwise, I usually pick up my molds from ****. Can also find them on the BST here from time to time. Other supplies like hooks, eyes, etc. can be had from Barlows Tackle, EBay, and many other online places. Mike at M&D's sometimes has the larger jighooks available as well.