Shaky86

whitewater rafting

Rate this topic

130 posts in this topic

Did it at a bachelor party up in Maine a couple years ago. Great fun. Much moreintimidating than I expected. One of my friends got bucked out on one of the rapids and bobbed along in the river for like two miles.:shock:

Also played paintball for the first time a few weeks ago. More good times.

Many times. Owned a raft which was very whitewater capable until last year ( biggest I ran was class III). Also did an 8 day trip down the Grand Canyon in 1988. It's a lot of fun.

Whitewater rafting is a blast! I've done it several times in Maine. Lots of good companies operating out of the "Forks" region on the Kennebec and Dead Rivers.

It's awesome and a great team building/bonding experience.

I have extremely fond memories of the Polish guy and his son, Kosdruble who got assigned to our raft. These cats proceeded to wear swim goggles (not on their forehead, but on their eyes) the ENTIRE time. Like in the lodge, on the bus, on the raft, having a beer afterward....I can't can't convey how much enjoyment this brought us.

Maine isn't to far way, I could make a trip up for that. Where in Maine did you go?

This is where we went.

http://www.northernoutdoors.com/

I'd highly recommend it. They brew their own beer and Saturday night is a full on party with a band and everything. However, look out for the improperly trained bartenders as I was significantly overserved.

There are specific releases on the Dead River and Kennebec Gorge for rafters all summer long. The West Branch of the Penobscot has some of the biggest rapids in the east. Lots of good companies running both. Northern Outdoors is fun spot on a Saturday night.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dude View Post

I have extremely fond memories of the Polish guy and his son, Kosdruble who got assigned to our raft. These cats proceeded to wear swim goggles (not on their forehead, but on their eyes) the ENTIRE time. Like in the lodge, on the bus, on the raft, having a beer afterward....I can't can't convey how much enjoyment this brought us.

:laugh:  . It's a great way to have everyone be exposed, to find out who is who .

Kenebec is a fun river. It was dam release when I did it. In my experience the best river on the east coast is the Gauley in WV. It is a dam release as well. The New in WV is great at high water levels but pretty tame at low ones. The Cheat is a good beginner river. I still want to do the Penobscott and the Youghogeney but I may be too brittle at this point.

Must've been related to Brian...

Did the snake river around Jackson Hole back in the early 90's when I was a teenager. It was ******* awesome Done a whole lot here on the Lehigh and its not even close to being the same. Quite honestly its like a float trip around here compared to out there.