Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
manomet mark

Shark fishing from shore

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Making an attempt to catch something of decent size off a beach in Osterville , all I have gotten was small stripers and small dog fish off squid and chunk pogie

Was wondering if the dead eels work better . Is the water to cold? And are there usually brown sharks caught in Osterville . I heard using a balloon rig works on an out going tide but I'll be fishing at night.

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by SquidSeeker4pet View Post

I would like to catch a spiny dogfish from shore in these winter months any suggestions?

Go out to Welfleet, bring a 15' noodle rod, put a 130 model conventional on it, line it with 1 lb. braid, have a boat ready to pull it out a mile or two, and cross your fingers..  The dogs are out under the blues right now...  Hundreds of miles away.;)

I suspect that SquidSeeker4pet is pulling our collective leg.

On the off chance he isn't .... shark season is when the mosquitoes cover you in a buzzing blanket within thirty seconds of your deploying your behind in a beach chair.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shark lobster View Post

Kayak or kite gets the bait out far enough

Kayak is/was my method to drop bait...  Kites from shore are for pelagic fish that feed on top, and are extremely difficult to fish with from shore.  Brown sharks do not (in my experience) feed on top.  Trolley lines and kites will not catch a Brown IMHO..  Hammerheads, Bulls, some Tigers, Spinners, Blacktips, and GW's will feed on top, not Brown Sharks...  again, in my opinion..     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidSeeker4pet View Post

hahaha I had no idea I have never been shark fishing, I only fish to eat however this time I wanted a pet....

Yeah, that may not work out so well either..  I'm not even sure you can technically target them for sport..  Of course we do, but I say we're fishing for Tiger sharks, or Blue sharks..  Don't say Sand Tiger or Brown..  you'll get a fine for that.  But I do know you cannot harvest them, or keep them as a pet..  It is against the law..  They are more commonly known as Brown sharks in Mass., but widely known as Sandbar sharks, and are protected..  

My advice is, learn a little bit more about the fish you are trying to catch before you actually go out and try to catch it.  Sharks are no joke, and even the little ones can ruin anyone's day.  The teeth are sharp, serrated, they stay alive for a real long time out of water, and can bite their own tails faster than you can move your hand..  Once they have you, they go ballistic..  don't mess with them until taught properly how to handle them..  Just my opinion, but you do what you want..  Hope it helps!