Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Block Island Green

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

You can't read about needlefish without reading about Block Island, and therefore the Block Island Green that so many people talk about.

Would someone with a Block Island Green needle please post a picture of it? I'd like to see where in the spectrum of green it falls. The human eye can distinguish more shades of green than of any other color (that's why night vision gear usually is made to display an image in green) and I wonder if BI green doesn't tend towards a yellowish, chartreuse-y end of the green spectrum.

I'm not at home now but I would call it lime green, I think half chartreuse half green is a fair assessment. I think most of those guys in the 80's were using them because there was a ton of sand eels and needlefish around, and they were the only thing they could cast and get a could retrieve with in stormy conditions. I always make sure to use a green needle during my frequent trips to block and I havent had 50's jumping all over it yet. I've even tried the BI green needle in westerly, just 7 miles from block, and have never had a tap. I've had much better recent success there with a bone redfin. I just got off a 2 day stint on the island with 6 others guys, not even a bite on anything between all of us in 2 days, despite the great fishing in south county- the island is a weird place! I think the BI green needlefish worked well during years where it sort of "matched the hatch", but also stood out from the hatch at the same time- also I think there was just a TON of big fish around those years and not much else. Who knows, I'll continue to give it some time when I go there. I wasn't there in the heyday of the green needle but I'm sure DZ will see this thread and help you out.

Also, I think there are some different interpretations of BI green. It could be from an improvised rattle can paint job (which i think is where it originated) or a plug builder's idea of the color. I know they sell lemire's BI green needles at twin maples, but I think the originals were homemade needles that were spray painted or the prototype super strikes. I'm just quoting from memory DZ's book, you really have to get the opinion of the guys that were there in the 80's slamming 50 lbers every day if you want to know which color it is/was.

As with any plug paint design its more a builders interpretation rather than a set hue. We all see colors differently or what we desire that color to be.

As for it being just a needle color? Nope use it on any plug design.

All 3 of mine have caught fish on Block. I gave 2 away to friends,... And I'm not sure if they caught on em yet. It's my favorite color.

Is it always your favorite color in every location?

Are you talking about my new needle? If so have you caught on it yet?

Not yet Chuck but I'm gonna fish it hard for a couple days coming up. I'll get you some pics when I do. I played with it in freshwater to get a good feel for it and see what all it does.