Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blackdogfish

Hook sharpeners: What are you using?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I am a fan of the arkansas stones with the groove in them. The diamond stones ive had never have held up and some most files are too coarse or dull to cut into the harder hooks. When I tie flies I usually just hit a norton bench stone first untill they catch on the fingernail.

I also use the stone with the groove, but I don't use the groove. Occasionally, I will use a diamond emery board from the drug store, if I can find one with a fine enough grit.

I keep the cheaper variety on hand- Double sided Flat file with a grove from BPS.  I use it mid outing if a hook doesn't pass the fingernail test but find myself replacing hooks more.  Maybe its my fat fingers but putting a quality point on a hook that was chemically sharpened is an effort in futility for me :).  It costs a little more up front but nothing like losing a PB in the wash (from what I have read and unfortunately experienced).  One clear exception for me is when fishing bait and using Gami Big Eye Circles ($$$), losing one of them also has an Psychological impact.

It's frustrating we can't use links.

What about the Smith diamond DCS4 listed on the "a" site?

this has the plastic plate with diamond dust imbedded in the little circle/dots.

Like the bigger pro "diamond" sharpening stones for bench use.

It's frustrating we can't use links.

What about the Smith diamond DCS4 listed on the "a" site?

this has the plastic plate with diamond dust imbedded in the little circle/dots.

Like the bigger pro "diamond" sharpening stones for bench use.

I hated the one I had. I took it to work for sharpening the blade to the meat grinder. It did fine for that.

I have a flat rectangular stone I got at a hardware store.

Coarse on one side, finer on the other.

Its slightly smaller than a wallet, bigger then most hook sharpeners, but does the job very well. Its good it you want to sharpen all 4 "sides" of the point on bigger hooks, where the little ones with the groove don't let you do that.

I know it may sound funny but I have not sharpened a hook in years. I mean, probably over a decade and a half.

I have no confidence in re-sharpened hooks.

So to answer the question, I use new hooks.