Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
basenjib123

New world record Cod ..

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Some of you probably you already know but for those that don't....

(from *******coUK website)

A German angler has managed to break the world record by landing the biggest cod ever caught.

The mighty cod weighed in at 103lbs - smashing the existing record, that has been held for 44 years, by nearly 5lbs.

Michael Eisele, from Kiel, Germany, was on a fishing trip to Norway when he snared the whopper.

Catch of the day: An angler is celebrating after breaking the record for catching the world's biggest ever cod

The 44-year-old and his party had just been about to head back to port after an unsuccessful day's fishing when he got a bite.

Mr Eisele spent 30 minutes trying to reel in the catch and said his knees started trembling when he saw it as it breached the water.

The cod was so big two of his friends had to hold him back in fear he would have been dragged overboard by it.

They helped him heave it on board and Mr Eisele was barely able to hold it by himself for the obligatory photograph on board the fishing boat.

The mighty fish weighed in at 103lbs, smashing the previous and long-held world record by nearly 5lbs

The one that didn't get away: Mr Eisele spent 30 minutes trying to reel in the catch and said his knees started trembling when he saw it as it breached the water

The 5ft long cod tipped the scales at 47 kilograms.

The existing record stood at 98lbs 12ozs for a cod caught off New Hampshire in 1969.

Mr Eisele's cod is not only a world record but also the very first to hit the 100lbs mark.

Mr Eisele said he caught the fish in 90ft of water 10 miles off the Norwegian island of Soroya.

He said: 'The fishing had been quiet all day. The just one hour before the turn of the tide

I got a bite.

Donated:

Donated: Mr Eisele donated the record fish to the Norwegian Fisheries Museum in Bergen which will have it stuffed and mounted

'I saw two red dots on the sonar-screen and it looked like a big one.

'So I concentrated from that moment on. It felt like ground contact. I took it very slowly and carefully.

'It took me more than half an hour to get the fish up. When we saw the fish my knees was starting shaking. It was so big.

'I needed the help from both boys staying in my boat to get it landed.

'It was an indescribable feeling. It was fish of a lifetime.

'I am a little proud to have the record.'

Mr Eisele, the managing director of a fishing tackle manufacturers, donated the record fish to the Norwegian Fisheries Museum in Bergen which will have it stuffed and mounted.

But he has submitted an application for his world record catch to the International Game Fishing Association.

The record for the biggest cod caught in British water stands at 58lbs and was caught in the North Sea off Whitby in 1992.

This thread made me think about when I was a kid my Dad used to cod fish out of Brooklyn NY. He came home many times with 60lb fish that didn't rate 3rd place in the pool. Now I see guys hold up a 7lb codfish for the camera. Sad what happened to that fishery.

Isnt that the problem? you keep enough 60lb fish, eventually a 7lb fish becomes a rare thing...

In the case of cod fish, no I really don't think so. Admittedly people belonging to my Dad's generation knew little of conservation and catch and release was not even a catch phrase. It was the foreign trawlers that decimated them along with pollack, whiting, hake etc. I watched them as a kid off long islands south side well within our local waters scraping the ocean floor for anything it could snatch while our great government stood by with their thumb you know where. In the case of cod, that's why a 7 pounder is camera material today.

I'm no biologist but I did get the chance to speak to one about New England Cod. In a nut shell he told me that even though the Cod stocks have recovered somewhat too many BIG Cod where taken out of the gene pool, thus we are stuck with much smaller Cod now.

cod are "r" selected. this means that they are capable of producing massive quantities of young at a time (hundreds of thousands). they have short lifespans and come to maturity quickly. If it werent for this cod would probably be obliterated by now. opposite end of the spectrum is "k" selected which would be things like sharks. Small amounts of young, longer lifespan, long time to maturity.

I'm no biologist but I did get the chance to speak to one about New England Cod. In a nut shell he told me that even though the Cod stocks have recovered somewhat too many BIG Cod where taken out of the gene pool, thus we are stuck with much smaller Cod now.

I'm no biologist either but I always wanted to ask one after they made that statement that if you kill a fish how would you know if it had "big" or "small" gene's? A fish that was going to grow to be considered a "big" fish would have still passed along those gene's when spawning even bf it reached the "big" size. Wilt Chamberlain would have passed along the same big gene at age 13 as he would have at age 35 (19,999 woman earlier). I guess it could make a difference at some point if you take a fish out of the gene pool bf it has a chance to spawn but someone above said that cod spawn at a young age.

I sucked in genetics but I think that would take millions of years for that to happen. I don't think cod live more than something like 8 years so it's probably just a matter of nutrition and predator avoidance.

cod are "r" selected. this means that they are capable of producing massive quantities of young at a time (hundreds of thousands). they have short lifespans and come to maturity quickly. If it werent for this cod would probably be obliterated by now. opposite end of the spectrum is "k" selected which would be things like sharks. Small amounts of young, longer lifespan, long time to maturity.

I'm no biologist either but I always wanted to ask one after they made that statement that if you kill a fish how would you know if it had "big" or "small" gene's? A fish that was going to grow to be considered a "big" fish would have still passed along those gene's when spawning even bf it reached the "big" size. Wilt Chamberlain would have passed along the same big gene at age 13 as he would have at age 35 (19,999 woman earlier). I guess it could make a difference at some point if you take a fish out of the gene pool bf it has a chance to spawn but someone above said that cod spawn at a young age.

I think the post before yours touched on it.

Yes, they are spawning earlier in their lives before being caught, so some of the genes' pass on.

However, a fish with smaller genes will spawn more times before being caught, contributing to a larger portion of the next generation. That is why some very big cod are still being caught, but not as often as in the past.

The "big-gened" fish will most likely be faster growing fish, and will be more likely to reach keeper size before having spawned, or will have spawned fewer times before reaching it than one with "small genes".

I guess some of it becomes unavoidable then?

I don't know if it is like stripers though, where the bigger fish produce more eggs? That would also be something to consider. More eggs would mean a larger number of "big genes" passed on each year as they grow.

The population would probably have to go un molested for a number of years for there to be a good probability of landing monsters. Cod are capable of explosive population growth, a growing population is full of younger members , and people are constantly scooping them up before they get big . I don't think the genome of the Atlantic cod changed in 60 years

a fish with smaller genes will spawn more times before being caught, contributing to a larger portion of the next generation. That is why some very big cod are still being caught, but not as often as in the past.

The "big-gened" fish will most likely be faster growing fish, and will be more likely to reach keeper size before having spawned, or will have spawned fewer times before reaching it than one with "small genes".

That makes sense.

Thanks

To put this in perspective, the record cod (probably not angling) is twice the size of the record reported in this thread - 211#, over 6' long.