Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
keelhauler

wood for spooks/topwater plugs

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

I have just gotten into turning/building my own plugs. Im wondering what woods would be good for turning as a beginner. I have a few pieces of cherry, but think it will be too heavy and not have the buoyancy im looking for. I know cedar is light, but haven't got the cheap access to it as I do with the cherry pieces. Any input is much appreciated.

as a new builder the most important thing to keep in mind is safety, wear propper ppe because wood dust is bad for the lungs. wear glasses if using belt sanders or lathes and remove any baggy clothing on an around your hads. The next most important thing for a new builde is availaility of materiels; a lot of people use AYC and swear by it but its tough to get. White pine is good and can be found at home depot, as can red cedar and poplar. The latter two are great for top water applications athough poplar has been known to crack if not sealed the right way. Pine is a denser wood which can easily be utilized for surface plugs and subsurface a like. Try all thee, get to know their tendencies and always finish your final shaping with sanding. there's a sh_t load of info here which maybe others more knowledgeable than me will chime in with.