Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
snook hunter

Loaded floating plugs

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

It all depends on how much weight you add. We've loaded plugs with various weights for different conditions. But, you gotta test swim each load, so plug performs the way you want for the conditions.

The more the load, the more it impacts swimming action. Some various load option considerations:

• just enough extra weight shift during the cast for some added distance with minimal impact to original swimming action.
  • more load, but plug still floats...when you want it to dig deeper, for heavier conditions or for rips...but you gotta test so it still gives you action you want.
  • load even further so plug sinks (slow or fast) for particular conditions.

I use 15 in a large redfin, 7 in a small. The plug will still float. I would encourage you to try some different loads out for yourself and to see what work best for you and the conditions that you fish. I have plugs with more and less bb's but don't use them as much.

Just a question, would it be better to use lead shot but not sure what size? Anyone use that?

It's not better, just different. I have used it in the past but almost always use bb's since I know what to expect with them. Duplicating the same thing with shot wasn't worth the effort to me.

Tac i use bird shot…..Go to a hunting store to get it….

It's not better, just different. I have used it in the past but almost always use bb's since I know what to expect with them. Duplicating the same thing with shot wasn't worth the effort to me.

Thanks!

Tac i use bird shot…..Go to a hunting store to get it….

x2... I actually picked up a box of #8 birdshot at Walmart for 5 or 6 bucks.

Like others have, experiment with the weights and see how the plug swims. Don't forget to note how much you used when you find a weight you want to use. I also use mineral oil to load.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tac151 View Post

Just a question, would it be better to use lead shot but not sure what size? Anyone use that?

#8 lead shot. unless your area has a gun shop that has it youll have to buy it online.  shipping is annoying. #8 lead shot.

x2... I actually picked up a box of #8 birdshot at Walmart for 5 or 6 bucks.

Like others have, experiment with the weights and see how the plug swims. Don't forget to note how much you used when you find a weight you want to use. I also use mineral oil to load.

That's the gauge shot i use #8…… My red fins swim perfect and are evenly balanced……The stuff works great for loading..