Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lawaia808

Red Avid Surf

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hey SOL,

Just ordered my first st croix blank (10' avid), and am learning to accept the red color. That being said, I'm interested to see other custom builds using the avid or any other red rod blank :) it'd be interesting to see if anyone used contrasting colors or if most play it safe with black/silver/red thread.

Have a good week!

IT's the same color as the Seeker Hercules red. I've built a lot of rods on that color blank, playing it safe or stick with red is hte best way to go about it. HEre are a couple, the one with teh price I apologize for the spam but I just put this together yesterday and it's hte only black silver pic I have of the rod and I'm trying to give teh poster an ide a of what it looks like withthe colors he wants to use

Nice work Billy, really dig the fade on the guide wraps. I'm thinking I'll play it safe with this build, red just seems to be one of those colors lol. I'm used to building on nothing but black, so this is new to me. Also, did use CP on the guide wraps on the guidewraps in the last pic? Again thanks for sharing your work, have a good one

Thanks,. I never use CP on my guide wraps, or guide wrap underwaps. Post some ics when yoiy figure out what your'e gonna do, or if oyu do samples so we can vote on which one we like best:p

Hey RI, looks nice! Congrats on getting 11' blank from the BST, wish Hawaii wasn't isolated by a big body of water lol. My ten footer should be here by the weekend. Feel free to share more pics of your avid builds, seems like I haven't seen many customs around. The chrome finish looks good one red, makes me reconsider doing black guides with black overwraps, my usual go to haha. I may do a red abalone insert or deco underwrap for the stripper, I'll definitely update/post when I get all my components and thread in.

Billy the only answer I can give you, is I REALLY like the metallic red.

That's good!! My point was going to be that if you did it to protect the blank it is a waste of time, the underwrap is purely for looks.

Went through some mor eof my pics, here's a few more. The REd wrap is done with one of the shade packs that I sell, if you are interested in checking them out e-mail me at xlrods@yahoo.com, I have 22 different color packs

Thanks Bill. I did want to contact you about some other stuff. will be in touch.

Lawaia808, I love both rods. The 10footer thows between 1.5 to 2 oz so well, and the 11 likes 2.5 to 3. The wife got a 8lb false ablie on the 10 footer, it and it handled it with no problem. The 11 footer is pared with a Akios Scora 80, and I throw this combo better than anything I have ever owned. (And I have tried and owned them all, Lamiglas, CTS, Rainshadow, MHX ect,) That is why I bought the spare blank off of the BST forum. My build it this winter for the wife, or not. LOL

Nice! Glad to hear, I plan on tossing 2-3 ss poppers and metal jigs, targeting smaller trevally/Gt., it's pretty much my light plugging outfit. Do plan on tossing 1.5 waxwings and other lures. Glad to hear your wife is fishing with you, just got my gf into it lol. Just finished wrapping a bait pole with purple dragon scales as an early Christmas gift.

If that spare 11' ever needs a new home down the road, Hawaii's warm in the winters, and I fish year around, LOL! Have a good weekend

I built my 11' Avid with Burnt Orange Fish Hawk thread with no CP and I think it looks great with the metallic red. Also used some black thread and metallic gold trim.

Sage Method fly rods have a similar color combo.