Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dena

Corporate role in Modern Day society

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

In the Forbes link Jonesy posted, I followed an article about the modern corporate role in society.

The article's premise was that future business CEOs were still being taught in schools that short term profit was the only goal.

Maximize shareholder value, even to the detriment of society, and even the business in the long term.

The article asks if it is time to change that, is it?

My question for discussion is: What is the role of Corporations in modern society?

If that's what they're learning to do in B school that's what it will be. The real question to m e is if that is the case - then what should anyone outside the Corporations relationship  to the Corporation be (if any)? What, if anything, should the Government be doing on behalf of Corporations if this is their stated goal? With our tax money btw. One role I would like to see them lose is the role on insurance provider. Obama could have gone for that if he had any cojones, but he doesn't. I read a funny thing somewhere about how the evil boomers are ruining all future possibilities for those poor millenials. The comments were pricecless as they posted all our faults from their mothers' basements. What they don't get is the B-school kids today (and Business is still the most popular major) are going to treat them the same way; offshoring, more hours, no raises. They will probably even figure out some new and novel ways to go about it. Corporations won't change and maybe shouldn't change, what needs to change is the revered status the rest of society gives them. I'm Mitt Romney and I approve this message.

One role I would like to see them lose is the role on insurance provider. Obama could have gone for that if he had any cojones, but he doesn't.

Are you talking about single payer?

If Obama had tried for that level of power grab he would not have gotten the complete support of all the dems in congress.

My question for discussion is: What is the role of Corporations in modern society?

Elections are not about voting for a candidate anymore, they're all about corporations.

With that kind of money, we're not voting for a rep for the people, we're voting for a select

handful of corporate owners who will dictate to the rep what they want in the way of legislation.

Every modern day election only gives us the same choice no matter who controls the reigns.

The only real change we see today are in government takeovers and I don't see that happening here.

TatonkaJames, I'm sure you have something there because all of this wealth envy that is so prevalent is known to be stealing from the legitimate Americans.  The wealthy that post in PG keep repeating that this is to take power and to control.