What Would a Republican Senate have To Do?

Rate this topic

saltydawg

To win the 2016 presidential election? I am guessing that they will have to be active and very bipartisan, knocking out some of the key issues like Keystone Pipeline. If they don't, the anger will just be transferred to the next election.

Agree on everything but Keystone. Really not that critical IMHO. Oil will be transported one way or another, Keystone is not critical. I think immigration will be a hot item, deficit and debt should be a hot topic but too many 'sacred cows' for that to happen. Tax reform in the sense of a flat tax would be nice, never going to happen. What I think will happen is Benghazi and IRS will be more important to the GOP and trying to impeach Obama. I really don't see McConnell working with Obama.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saltydawg View Post

To win the 2016 presidential election? I am guessing that they will have to be active and very bipartisan, knocking out some of the key issues like Keystone Pipeline. If they don't, the anger will just be transferred to the next election.

They have to be conservatives.  And the RNC has to nominate a conservative.

Mitt Romney lost because conservatives did NOT vote for him

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

If they eliminated spying on their own citizens, it would do a lot to restore my trust in the Repubs, but I don't see it happening.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyle241 View Post

Agree on everything but Keystone. Really not that critical IMHO. Oil will be transported one way or another, Keystone is not critical. I think immigration will be a hot item, deficit and debt should be a hot topic but too many 'sacred cows' for that to happen. Tax reform in the sense of a flat tax would be nice, never going to happen. What I think will happen is Benghazi and IRS will be more important to the GOP and trying to impeach Obama. I really don't see McConnell working with Obama.

I do see Mcconnel workig with Obama.  He is a progressive.

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

Keystone is an easy one that they can knock out since the majority of Americans support it. They get it through early to show that they are going to be active (shake the do-nothing moniker). They will have to address immigration, but that one will get much messier. They need to start by cherry-picking popular legislation.

-

Quote:

Originally Posted by saltydawg View Post

They could start by voting on the hundreds of bills that Reid was blocking the votes on to protect his cronies from have a track record.

Ed Panzella

"BAITS MOTEL" - 2450 Maycraft Pilothouse

Higganum, Ct

The Republican Senate doesn't have to do anything.

"Ok, Eddy you were right" - minivin5
"Oddly enough, Eddy is right fairly often"- TimS

"Eddy is correct" - TomT

"Say what you will about Eh-ddy but he actually does know a few things." - The Commish

That would guarantee a 2016 loss.

Your question was "what would a republican senate have to do?"

It doesn't matter what they do, since they aren't the ones running for President.

"Eddy is correct" - TomT

"Say what you will about Eh-ddy but he actually does know a few things." - The Commish

mmmkay...Remember 2012? What they do or don't do will influence that election. There is a lot riding on how well they do.

yeh

the RNC pushed for a leftist candidate.

and got one.

"Eddy is correct" - TomT

Nothing good will come out of the next 2 years. I see nothing but window dressing.

I see immigration reform for the benefit of corporations and to the detriment of the American worker and tax payer.

I agree that no one will really care about keystone pipeline

Tackling tax issues would be great. Don't see it happening.

Possibly some fake bills on curtailing the feds power to spy.

There isnt much to do these days aside from meaningful long tax reform.