Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

Akios, Omoto, Abu ????? What are the differences ?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I've been reading up and the more I read the more I get confused. :freak::huh:

Some simple questions regarding both the 6000 and 7000 sizes for anyone (Roddy) who knows about these reels.

I'd like a combination of tough (really tough), with a good smooth drag, and good casting ability.

Being able to do double duty bridge n beach bait would be nice - Triple duty, bridge, beach bait, and plugging would be the holy grail.

Must have level wind

1. Which has the larger drag washers ?

2, Which has the beefier anti reverse, particularly the pin and side plate that the dog sits on ?

3, Do any have a dual anti reverse, bearing and dog on pin n gear ?

5, Which has the stronger frame and is less prone to torque under extremely heavy load (If you were to winch many 10# fish high into the air which reel would have a better chance of long term survival) ?

6. Abu parts are easy, how about the other two ?

7. Can you do a fast swap of spools ?

Now I'm mainly using an Abu 7000ics ProRocket and a standard 6000 C3 for bridge. 7500 c3ct and a Big Game for bait, and a 6500 Mag Elite and a Shimano 400 Conquest for plugging.

It would be nice to simplify. Say two reels, a 6000 and a 7000, with two spare spools.

I sort of look into this mess as well when I research for my conventional chunker. Omoto manufacture reels for Abu. Then AKIOS came along and Omoto made reel for them with more refined ABU design. ( mag, frame change)  Now Omoto is selling their own reels as well at roughly half what AKIOS is asking.  Since the three brands are pretty much a reference designed, many of the part like gears should be identical. 

Google abu omoto 7000 and you'll find a comparison page in a catfishing forum.

After all said and done. I got a penn fathom 15 for chunking and double duty as a party boat reel.

I'm sorry did't realize you were talking about spinning reels.

I have the Akios 757 Level wind and i love it, I am having a rod made for it. I am actually thinking about a Akios Shuttle to use for bait casting, most of my equipment is for plugging and i prefer a conventional for heavier casting. I had a Abu and I feel the Akios is on par with the Abu. the magnetic cast control is great fit and finish of parts is very good.

Hmmm,this can get complicated indeed.

Omoto has many versions of the same reel.

one could get dual anti-revo or simply just the instant IAR[i like dual or dog/ratchet only]the instant can slip at times if it gets cold out or needs a drop of oil.

one can get a lot of reels without all the extras to save on retail costs as well.

I have taken apart my 7000-csm chief and it is very clean inside,very abu like with a few differences.

the drags are nice and solid.

as for pounds of drag I don't wonder about such info as I use 25-30lb mono and as long as it stops the fish when I need it to I am good.

on my 6000-csm[wavecaster/chief] it also has a nice stock drag which is carbon fiber.

it is smooth and fast as well as strong.it feels solid in your hands.

this model has the removeable shaft with the bearing in the spool and a speed bushing on the palm side of the reel.

I'm not a fan of the setup but, it has worked very well for the last 4 years.

now comes the chief Xtreme CX.

it is built like the akios,same frame,spool,gears and such.

as for what bearings are in them,I am not sure but, I will tell you it is smooth and with it's 6.3-1 gear ratio it is fast.

it also has the extra long double paddle handle,which I like a lot no need for a power handle for me.

alos,it has a nondisengaging levelwind,you can get the other model that has a CT frame as well.

I have some pix of it apart showing inside the cage and such.

I hope Don B. will chime in as he must have some info to add.

Sudsy,it seems that your present choices are very solid,I like both the abu and the Omoto pieces.

it would seem that you have the bases covered,check out their website maybe you could see more.

I compared my old shimano catala-300-A to the 631-CX they are almost the same size physically but,the Omoto CX holds a lot more line due to it's wider/deeper spool.

the mags work very well and I only use the second setting of which there are a bunch more.

one has to be good with their thumb at the low settings,I like to be on the knife edge so that's where it stays most of the time.

it also has static centrifugal brakes[x2] but, they are very passive.

Omoto are doing their homework and are making strides they now have a ball bearing set up for the chief 7000-csm's levelwind system including the levelwind drive gear.

hope this helps and that don B. shows up with more.

H-H

Learn to level with your thumb. Buy a Fathom or a Saltist or a Torium. These reels cast well, have serious drags, double anti reverse and big gears. Use it for bridge. chunk, and boat fishing. Buy a 6500 sized levelwind for spooks and pencils if you must. The only robust levelwind that I know of is the Saltist, and it has no magnetic or centrifugal braking.

I heard good things about the Diawa Luna 300 as far as levelwinds go.

But, the Fathom's would be a solid bet if you learn to level with your thumb like Stewie mentioned.

I don't know enough about the Abu, Akios, or Omoto's to give a good comment about them other then that they are almost identical.

Perhaps we should step back and look at the larger picture.

ABU has been in business for a very long time. They were bought out by several larger companies. I am not sure of the exact companies, but it went along like this: ABU bought by Pure Fishing, which in turn was bought by K2, which in turn was bought by another company. Some of their affiliates are Penn, Fenwick, Berkley, Spider Wire, Mitchell, Pfluger, Stren, Sebile, Johnson, Shakespeare, and various sporting goods equipment.

Omoto has been in business 30 years and builds a range of reels from low profile to offshore trolling (eg International 80 size), spinning reels, and fly reels. You would recognize a lot of the company names. The Omoto Chief reels are only a part of their offering.

Akios is a line of reels made by Omoto for the UK. It is shipped to several countries.

I import Omoto Chief reels directly from Taiwan. We are currently setting up Reely Ron's Reel Repair as a warrant station. Today I set him parts for Chief 5000 and 6000 reels. I will add additional parts with my next order.

Questions:

First, per Omoto: 90% of the parts are interchangeable between Omoto, ABU, and Akios. This may be a slight overstatement due to the large number of models.

1. Which has the larger drag washers ?

To my knowledge, they will be the same depending on model (6000, 7000).

2, Which has the beefier anti reverse, particularly the pin and side plate that the dog sits on ?

3, Do any have a dual anti reverse, bearing and dog on pin n gear ?

I cannot address the ABU reels. The Omoto (and Akios) 5000, 6000, and 7000 models should all have an Infinite Anti-Reverse (IAR) bearing and anti-reverse cog.

The anti-reverse cog is only for backup should the IAR fail.

5, Which has the stronger frame and is less prone to torque under extremely heavy load (If you were to winch many 10# fish high into the air which reel would have a better chance of long term survival) ?

Akios has a 757 SCM with a one piece frame. It would be expected to be stronger.

6. Abu parts are easy, how about the other two ?

Reely Ron's has a contract with ABU for parts and myself for Omoto parts. Currently I only have Chief 5000 & 6000 internal parts.

7. Can you do a fast swap of spools ?

With the addition of the larger end plate screws, they would all be about the same. Hard to beat a Penn JigMaster.

Since the three brands are pretty much a reference designed, many of the part like gears should be identical.

For the Omoto 5000 and 6000 size reels, the gears with 5.3:1 ratios have brass pinion and main gears.

The reels with 6.3:1 ratios have a bronze pinion and brass main. the bronze pinion is desirable due to increased torque on the pinion.

Regarding the Omoto 7000 and Akios reels, They both use a hybrid stainless steel/brass pinion. The Akios seems to have a 4.3:1 gear ration, while the Omoto has a 5.5:1 gear ratio,

Well, it is not often that I can correct Roddy!

now comes the chief Xtreme CX.

it is built like the akios,same frame,spool,gears and such.

The Omoto frame is two piece. The second piece is the reel foot. I find the Omoto configuration easier in attaching the reel to the reel seat. Also when using coasters, it is easier to attach the reel to the rod .

The pinion on this model is now bronze.

Snap in 6 pin centrifugal brake systems are now available for 5000 and 6000 models.

Well, that's enough for tonight.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions or correct me.