Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfnfish93

Best Way to Snag and Drop

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Quick question,

My hookup ratio doing snag and drop has been horrendous, I have only landed one fish over several strikes.

Just wanted to ask you guys what your most effective methods have been, so far I've been trying these two things;

-Opening the bail, but this is hard to tell when I get a hit sometimes and I lost a fish because I waited too long using this method

-Leaving the drag very loose. this is how I landed my one successful fish, I let it run for a little and then tightened the drag and set the hook. However I have also lost a few fish doing this because they dropped the bunker.

What do you guys think is the best option and what has worked for you? If you have a different technique from the two listed above i would love to hear about it. I get very few opportunities to get a hit on live bunker and I hate missing them.

Tight lines everyone

I fish bail-less, but even with a bail hold the line in your hand, let the bait take it when it needs it. You're gonna know when a fish picks up. it's really that easy. When to strike, there's a little luck and skill there. If I get a pick up I lower the rod, take a step forward (assuming that can be done) and get the line on the roller - it's really one smooth motion. Once things start to come tight (the rod is pointed at teh fish and ~ parallel to the water set the hook repeatedly. You have no idea where the hooks are in the bait, assume that they're buried in the bait and whack the **** out of the fish.

Like any fishing topic you're bound to get a ton of different answers. Drew C has some good advice above.  I just want to point out, I think you should really be replacing the snag with your standard bait hook / circle hook instead of fishing with the snag the whole time.  In my experience, you want to leave it out with the snag in for a bit, then replace it.  Sometimes the action of the snag, struggling bait, and new blood in the water triggers strikes.  But your hookup ratio is going to go up with a proper 9/0 Gami bait hook or something along those lines.  As Drew C said, you never know where the snag is in the fish.  Take the time to get properly hooked bunk with an exposed tip.  

The only thing I will add to will add to what has already been stated is to keep your offering just outside the edge of where the main school of bunker is.

Edge stragglers are much more likely to get eaten by Mrs. Stripey. :)

I mostly like lures or eels but due to a shoulder injury I have been hitting the bunker schools more this year as there is less casting and retrieving involved.  After fumbling with a live bunker, a snagger, a single hook , and the rod itself  I started experimenting. I tied on a TA clip to the main line. I then tied up an 8/0  snelled Gami with a 2' leader and a swivel... and a shorter leader with as snagger  and a swivel and hooked them both to the clip on the main line, hook first, snagger second.

I Snag a bunker, retrieve, hook it with the single hook that is already attached to my line, and then slip the snagger off the clip and throw it in my pocket. It sounds more complicated than it is but it gets a bait back swimmng in a few seconds and can be easily done while standing waist deep in the water. No worry of losing or dropping anything, no swallowed trebles....

Second experiment was to tie a 8/0 octopus hook  with a weight on the very end, like a high lo rig but with no dropper for the hook. It is just tied inline with a knotless knot. If the bunker are thick enough it actually works to snag bait and can be left in a school that is under attack without the concerns of a treble hook being inhaled. 

I live line or chunk them up with the bail open and the drag set to retrieve. No rod holders though , I hold a loop of  line against the rod with my thumb and try not to fall asleep. Never enough misses to complain, although a baitrunner would be nice to have someday.

I mostly like lures or eels but due to a shoulder injury I have been hitting the bunker schools more this year as there is less casting and retrieving involved.  After fumbling with a live bunker, a snagger, a single hook , and the rod itself  I started experimenting. I tied on a TA clip to the main line. I then tied up an 8/0  snelled Gami with a 2' leader and a swivel... and a shorter leader with as snagger  and a swivel and hooked them both to the clip on the main line, hook first, snagger second.

I Snag a bunker, retrieve, hook it with the single hook that is already attached to my line, and then slip the snagger off the clip and throw it in my pocket. It sounds more complicated than it is but it gets a bait back swimmng in a few seconds and can be easily done while standing waist deep in the water. No worry of losing or dropping anything, no swallowed trebles....

Second experiment was to tie a 8/0 octopus hook  with a weight on the very end, like a high lo rig but with no dropper for the hook. It is just tied inline with a knotless knot. If the bunker are thick enough it actually works to snag bait and can be left in a school that is under attack without the concerns of a treble hook being inhaled. 

I live line or chunk them up with the bail open and the drag set to retrieve. No rod holders though , I hold a loop of  line against the rod with my thumb and try not to fall asleep. Never enough misses to complain, although a baitrunner would be nice to have someday.

Amazing post, thank you! This is exactly what I was hoping for, some new ideas I haven't thought of. I like the removable snag hook idea, that's something I'll try. Thanks everyone for the responses

When I fish live bunker I like to snag & change to a single hook if I'm going to target blues I put the hook on the tail end & if is for striper I like to put it closer to the head my reason for that in my opinion is that blues hit most from the back & striper likes head first it has work bunch of times . When the fish hits I like to open my bail & let him run for about acount till 10s after that I hold my spool till I feel him pulling after I feel presure I then close bail & give it a harder pull then battle starts blues r easy striper r the tricky ones !!

I've had success with the "bow to the cow" method where you keep your rod tip high and weather you keep the bail open or drag really loose right before you set the hook, flip the bail or engage the drag then lower the rod tip to the water keeping gradually increasing pressure on the line. Then set the hook hard.

My experience is only with bluefish and ctsaltlife is right on. Too many times I've reeled in just the front half of the bunker, I believe that is why stripers love a bunker head when chunking, if they're working under the blues probably alot of heads dropping down there.