Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GetDaGaff

Poulan riding mower problem

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I know this should go to the DIY but and probably will. It's a 16.5 motor and it revs up and down even at higher RPM. I took some carb cleaner and sprayed it inside and out. If I crank it up it stops a bit but still hear it. I'm thinking dirty carb, throttle spring, who knows. I can do just about anything if I knew what direction to go. It's my GFs mower so I got to get it fixed or I'll be pushing a walk behind mower around the yard and I don't even want to cut my own grass.

Thanks for any help

I have a push mower poulan.Junk.The rough idle makes me want to smash it with a sledge hammer and go out and buy a real mower.Junk no bowl carb.Mine needs a carb rebuild.Has no bowl it is somehow built into a rubber gasket and has failed since it was designed.

I have commercial mowers. One of my older mowers had the same problem. The ethynol in the gas is a problem.

I changed out 3 carbs on various pieces of equipment this year alone. Price a carb and replace it.

Get a carb rebuild kit. Your problem sounds like a problem with the high sapped jet. Try running it clockwise a 1/4 turn at a time to see if you can even it out. Try counterclockwise if that doesn't help. Keep track of how much you move it, so that you can put it back info help.

That's all I got without knowing more details (I.e. Model #'s of tractor and engine)

I know this should go to the DIY but and probably will. It's a 16.5 motor and it revs up and down even at higher RPM. I took some carb cleaner and sprayed it inside and out. If I crank it up it stops a bit but still hear it. I'm thinking dirty carb, throttle spring, who knows. I can do just about anything if I knew what direction to go. It's my GFs mower so I got to get it fixed or I'll be pushing a walk behind mower around the yard and I don't even want to cut my own grass.

Thanks for any help

Any idea if your GF treated the gas? Or simply left in the tank till the next fill or use?

Drain that gas completely and treat it with starton, or stabile. I had a neighbors lawn mower act the same way. He never treated it. We drained the gas completely, cleaned the bowl and carberator, shook out and cleaned the air filter and its worked flawlessly since. Good luck