Obama on Moms Who Stay Home to Raise Kids: 'That's Not a Choice We Want Americans to Make'

Rate this topic

Robert Williams

MS. MORNIN: That's good, because I work three jobs and I feel like I contribute.

THE PRESIDENT: You work three jobs?

MS. MORNIN: Three jobs, yes.

THE PRESIDENT: Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic that you're doing that. (Applause.) Get any sleep? (Laughter.)

"All The Worlds A Stooge"

At one point in my life, day care was more than my mortgage.

We also had the conversation about my wife staying home and she wanted no part of it. Especially as it's hard to resurrect a corporate career after staying home.

Interesting, your wife more interested in career over children?

My wife left her lucrative corporate career when we had kids because the reason we had them wasn't to farm them out. She worked part time for far less money, but thanks to her we have had a blessed life with them, couldn't have asked for more. Now she has time to get back in, and no one is biting. We took a huge financial/retirement hit and for us it was worth it. And what makes me g0ddamned proud is that at age 57 she is back in college working towards a new career in medicine, with straight As and smoking the young kids. We're not idiots, she will face some level of age discrimination when she gets out but I think she'll do fine because she doesn't sit around and whine and wait for someone to help - she goes out and earns it. So I think yes, a woman should be able to get back in the workforce after raising the kids, but you have to be willing to go out and retool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcow? View Post

I think a lot of successful professional women see kids and careers just like men do. No reason that you can't have both.

Well, Gotcow? was off topic and personal too.  :shrug:

If pandering to the poor by the scummy commies is what this thread is about, then successful professional women are off topic or, at best just irrelevant; but, I know you felt obliged to answer.

At my age, just about everything pisses me off!

I can't speak for dude but my wife wanted np part of staying home and essentially giving up her career. It's not a choice of career over children. It's about having both for some women. For some they don't make enough to justify keeping working. Others have good career tracks that they can't take a ten year break from and ever get back to that level.

I can't speak for dude but my wife wanted np part of staying home and essentially giving up her career. It's not a choice of career over children. It's about having both for some women. For some they don't make enough to justify keeping working. Others have good career tracks that they can't take a ten year break from and ever get back to that level.

Not trying to be judgemental but I feel the kids get short changed when that happens.

Not trying to be judgemental but I feel the kids get short changed when that happens.

I think it depends on the family as a whole and the careers involved. If Mom and Dad are school teachers and are home each night, it is very different from Dad being on the road 10 nights a month covering a 1500 mile radius sales territory and Mom working a 65 hour a week lawyer gig.

That is when Mom and Dad need to have very serious discussions about how to raise the kids and what is more important: jobs or work. If the parents can't make those decisons, govt shouldn't get the nod.

-

I worked nights, and weekends so she could work during the day.

It was a tough couple of years till the kids reached school age, but we got through it, and the kids always had at least one parent home.

Now, the kids are out, mom retired, and I am still slaving away...wouldn't have it any other way.

A couple that works together can overcome many obstacles.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotcow? View Post

Even though we didn't do it that way I know a lot of people who maintained the 2 career path. Looking back at it their kids turned out perfectly fine. A lot of it actually is about what the parents miss out on, that time goes by real fast and you can't get it back. I don't think there are any one size fits all answers in life, the family has to decide what works best for them. But whichever way you go there are trade offs and you have to accept them. That seems to be what a lot of people have trouble accepting...