Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mybeach

netflix, Amazon Prime - timing out over HDMI cable

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Why, If I watch a movie, it seems to play all the way through, no problems. When I watch a TV series, the first episode normally plays problem free, but subsequent episodes time out about every 5 minutes or so. The PC keeps playing, but the TV screen goes blank. I have to hit the mouse or something, and then the image pops back up on the screen. Pain in the arse.

Normal stuff, Windows, and a 3' long HDMI cable to the TV.

Both services use something called Silverlight to play videos. Is there something I can tune in there?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mybeach View Post

Why, If I watch a movie, it seems to play all the way through, no problems. When I watch a TV series, the first episode normally plays problem free, but subsequent episodes time out about every 5 minutes or so. The PC keeps playing, but the TV screen goes blank. I have to hit the mouse or something, and then the image pops back up on the screen. Pain in the arse.

Normal stuff, Windows, and a 3' long HDMI cable to the TV.

Both services use something called Silverlight to play videos. Is there something I can tune in there?

I haven't seen that but my money would be on it being a Windows / Silverlight / video card driver issue. Could also be a HDMI cable issue, if you've got another one hanging around I'd try it first.

You didn't happen to buy the Fire TV stick for the $19.99 special last week did you? Would likely take care of the issue and give you back your PC.

My GF's pc laptop goes black in the middle of everything. She can't find the setting to change. I do not and will not **** with PC's. My Apple works flawlessly with zero effort in all situations. It knows it's playing a movie and attached to a projector and that to turn off the output would be stupid. Her PC won't even see the projector over HDMI. I don't know why you people live that way.

That happens if you let it automatically go to the next episode and yes, it's annoying. I always manually click the next episode.

This doesn't fix it.

I've also left the menu at the bottom instead of making it disappear, and that didn't fix it either.

Ack, that's horrible.. Run and buy a Mac.

control panel>hardware and sound>power options>choose when to turn off display (located on the left side of the window)

control panel>hardware and sound>power options>choose when to turn off display (located on the left side of the window)

A gentleman and a scholar.

Thanks. Done. Will test tonight and report back.

Apple. The CEO just came out of the closet.:shock:

How, pray tell, to set it?

Forget Apple. It'd be like going from a truck to a 30' tall unicycle for me. I ain't doing it, No sir..

Actually it's the opposite of that. You push the on button and everything works. Plug something into it and it just works. If it needs a driver it finds it, installs it and the thing works with zero effort. Downloading camera firmware is eleven steps on a PC and one on a Mac. No pre-installed bloatware. No monotonous settings to decipher for the simplest results (like watching a movie...). No BS. You want a car that goes when you turn the key or one that requires the transmission to be rebuilt upon purchase and weekly tire rotation? PC users are like domestic abuse victims. You can get away once you understand that life doesn't have to be that way. Unlearn the pattern.

Actually it's the opposite of that. You push the on button and everything works. Plug something into it and it just works. If it needs a driver it finds it, installs it and the thing works with zero effort. Downloading camera firmware is eleven steps on a PC and one on a Mac. No pre-installed bloatware. No monotonous settings to decipher for the simplest results (like watching a movie...). No BS. You want a car that goes when you turn the key or one that requires the transmission to be rebuilt upon purchase and weekly tire rotation? PC users are like domestic abuse victims. You can get away once you understand that life doesn't have to be that way. Unlearn the pattern.

I bet my wife could break it. I'd be digging up Jobs to pound him out if she had to use an Apple.