Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RiverRaider

Internal Inspection (Small Engine Not Colon)

Rate this topic

81 posts in this topic

Okay gear head's.... tell me what you see... how to fix it (if need be) and what happened :laugh:

The piston head in the photo had already been cleaned up by the time I got around to taking pic's... it was pretty badly fouled with (Carbon?) so I took some steel wool to it (gently) and cleaned it up...

How do I clean the rest of this up?

What's up with the discoloration of the chrome in the sleeve there?

What machine is that off?

Hone the bore and put new rings on the piston - new rod bearing wouldn't hurt either.

Whoa... Whoa... slow down....

Hone the Bore :squid:

Definitely going to need new piston ring's I busted both of them taking them off ...

What do I do about the rust on the thing at the bottom (what's that called a Cam?)

The needle bearing for the wrist pin was fine... haven't pulled out the rod bearing yet but what little I can see it looks okay

It's a 66cc bicycle motor from China ( least I think it's 66 cc) yet to figure that out conclusively... could be 49 cc

The thing at the bottom is the crankshaft.

Typical scaling of the cylinder walls. Honing it with a drill attachment will clean that off and reduce the scoring.

The thing at the bottom is the crankshaft.

Typical scaling of the cylinder walls. Honing it with a drill attachment will clean that off and reduce the scoring.

Cool.... never saw one of those before... I'm guessing there isn't much margin for error while using it...

Cool.... never saw one of those before... I'm guessing there isn't much margin for error while using it...

Nah. it's not going to bore the cylinder, per se. Shove it in there, spin it with the drill, move it up and down. Glaze remover mostly.

I HATE using new hones for the first time because I don't know how much metal they'll remove.

How much honing is too much?

What is the right RPM and right number of strokes (up and down)?

How fast should the hone be moved up and down?

How much honing is too much?

What is the right RPM and right number of strokes (up and down)?

How fast should the hone be moved up and down?

:shrug:

All I Know for sure is that it's a chromed sleeve and I'm betting the chrome isn't all that thick... worst case scenario I ruin it and buy a new one I guess

:shrug:

All I Know for sure is that it's a chromed sleeve and I'm betting the chrome isn't all that thick... worst case scenario I ruin it and buy a new one I guess

Do chromed sleeves require a special hone (grit)?

Can you get a new sleeve?

Must the block be preheated before a new sleeve is pressed in?