Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surf Hunter

The Aurora Borealis

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

So the wife and I were talking about how one of our bucket list items is to see the aurora borealis. We are thinking about a trip maybe in 2016 or 2017 but not sure where to go. We are kind of thinking Alaska since it is closer to us and not as expensive as say Manitoba.

If you could plan a trip to see this, where / when would you go?

To bad this seems like a winter thing, it would be awesome to try to fish while in Alaska, but that might be a separate trip all together.

My wife, same thing. We are planning Alaska for 2015. Most likely a cruise and then a few days in Denali, where September viewing of the AB is rated as "Good". In many of the brochures I'm reading, winter is best, starts to fade after April, not good in the summer, picks up in September. We're planning a September trip.

Lapland. Best place on earth to see them. :th:

i heard this as well but there is a huge price difference between heading up the coast to Alaska vs going all the way to Finland.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surf Hunter View Post

So the wife and I were talking about how one of our bucket list items is to see the aurora borealis. We are thinking about a trip maybe in 2016 or 2017 but not sure where to go. We are kind of thinking Alaska since it is closer to us and not as expensive as say Manitoba.

If you could plan a trip to see this, where / when would you go?

To bad this seems like a winter thing, it would be awesome to try to fish while in Alaska, but that might be a separate trip all together.

My brother a now retired career Navy man got a chance to see  them while on a cruise, he said they were a magnificent sight to behold.

I lived outside of Stavanger Norway when I was a kid and saw them but I was too young (7-8) to appreciate. Daylight hours are also extreme, like 4 hours of darkness in the summer and the opposite in winter.