ASrod

Andrus Rip Splitter vs Jetty Caster

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I have quite a few Jetty casters and I am going to buy some more Bucktails. I fish off a pier with about 6-10ft with the deepest point 30ft of water and a jetty with about 7-12 feet of water. Should I get the Rip Splitter or just stick with the Jetty Caster? Which one is more effective?

I'm no bucktailing expert but generally speaking, I believe Rip Splitter's sink faster than Jetty Casters. Therefore, if the conditions where you fish would sometimes require you to have to get the bucktail down to the strike zone more quickly and the drift zone is small then rip splitters could help with that if you feel that jetty casters are not doing that.

Is there a lot of current? A selection of different weights is most helpful regardless of the type. Water depths like that can be easily fished with the jetty caster is a few sizes. The only exception might be that 30 ft area. If the water is blowing over that 30 ft deep hole, I would probably opt for the rip splitter in that area in order to get into the strike zone quicker.

You could also consider a conversation with "TinMan" in the Commercial BST.  He could tailor a selection to meet your needs.  Various styles, sizes, and colors (or Combinations).  Additionally he could tie as much or as little hair as you want.

You could also consider a conversation with "TinMan" in the Commercial BST.  He could tailor a selection to meet your needs.  Various styles, sizes, and colors (or Combinations).  Additionally he could tie as much or as little hair as you want.

Agreed. He's great, knowledgable and helpful. He also makes a great custom product for a fair price.

JD

Very good suggestion. Excellent products too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by howied View Post

There is a time and place for anything. You may have better success with one over the other but is always good to have both in your bag

I would listen to this guy if I were you. I've been slaying fish this fall on bucktails that he tied heheheheh :)

8 hours ago, Micronik said:

Are the 1.25oz rip splitters a very popular size? every place I check for em shows everything but the 2oz out of stock. 

I tend to think shops dont stock them. Those in between sizes sometimes are just so perfect.