Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Niffty

Epidural steroid injections?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Anybody had this procedure? I'm getting a consultation on it this afternoon. I have a herniated disc between C5 and C6. Last night a guy told me to get full sedation and not just a local. Is it really that bad.

Thoughts, opinions, experiences?

Anybody had this procedure? I'm getting a consultation on it this afternoon. I have a herniated disc between C5 and C6. Last night a guy told me to get full sedation and not just a local. Is it really that bad.

My ex-wife had back issues and had a few of those. She never had full sedation, but did say it hurt quite a bit. It also helped immensely with her back pain. If you've got a low pain thresh hold, maybe full sedation is the way to go? I've never had one myself.

You could probably get along without full sedation but if they offer it to you why not? I'm not a big fan of pain, particularly in and around the back area.

I've had quite a few. I didn't think they were working til I stopped getting them for a while. The first one I got was without sedation. I bit down so hard I shattered 2 teeth. Get the sedation.

I've had quite a few. I didn't think they were working til I stopped getting them for a while. The first one I got was without sedation. I bit down so hard I shattered 2 teeth. Get the sedation.
I just got a crown done last week, so this is a compelling statement. My pain threshold is fairly well tested. :blackeye: But thick needles in your spine is not a challenge that it has ever had to meet.

Blue Cross/Blue Shield has recently decided that full sedation is not necessary.

I pay the extra out of my own pocket.

Did it once without it, never again.

btw - it may take more than 1 shot to get the relief you are looking for, but they do work.

I had a series of three done for lower back problems (degenerative disk L5-S1) the first one sucked balls and i forgot to breath while they were doing it and almost passed out. The other two were not as bad. Just remember to breath evenly and its all good. i have a pretty high tolerance to pain, but those sucked.

It did my back a crap ton of good however and the chronic pain has been gone for a while.

Blue Cross/Blue Shield has recently decided that full sedation is not necessary.

I pay the extra out of my own pocket.

Did it once without it, never again.

btw - it may take more than 1 shot to get the relief you are looking for, but they do work.

My ortho seems to think that one or a possibly a second combined with physical therapy will do the trick for me. A lot of advocates for sedation. I don't have BC/BS until January. If Aetna covers it then I'm lucky I'm going in now.