Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Speedsurfer

Daiwa or Van Stall!

Rate this topic

120 posts in this topic

Hi there!

I am new to this forum and i want to thanks a lot of you for the efforts you put in here.

I am looking to purchase a reel for mostly fishing from a kayak for Stripers, blues and Bonitos.

I am debading between the Daiwa Isla 4000 to 5000 or the new Van Stall VSX 200.

Thanks in advance for all the helps.

Dan.

I have had a Daiwa Isla 7000 and I have two Van Staals.  While the Daiwa is a great reel I know guys that use the reel hard and they break down.  Pinion gears, shafts, etc.   I wold go with a Van Staal because it is battle tested.  While the retrieve doesn't compare to a Daiwa, the Van Staal is a tank that will take care of you if you take care of it.  Ryan 

I would recommend that you go with the van staal if your fishing from a kayak. The ISLA is a saltiga I do believe which would be an awesome boat or shore reel. Very high end great drag and line pick up ON THEM but the VS is not a slouch there. You dont want to dunk the saltigas plain and simple.

If your just fishing from a kayak the vs150 with a nine foot or shorter rod (Century, CTS, or G-Loomis)would be a sweet setup though the 200 isnt a monster by any means. Good luck with a tough choice. Let us know.

the Daiwa Isla is basically a Saltiga and beats the VS hands down in every single category in which you can rate a reel except for one. And in your case that one category is very important.The ability to be submerged underwater. Because you are going to use this reel in your kayak there is a very good chance it will be submerged. I would go with the VS as I feel it is the best reel for being submerged. If your reel wasn't going underwater than the Daiwa Isla will outperform the VS by a large margin IMO

This is not even a question. Van Staal makes the best reels in the world. Daiwa is a low class Zebco push-button reel compared to a Van Staal.

The Stella is a far better boat reel than a VS

This is not even a question. Van Staal makes the best reels in the world. Daiwa is a low class Zebco push-button reel compared to a Van Staal.

I highly disagree with this statement. Van Staal make great reels in their own right, but comparing a surf reel to a high quality inshore/offshore reel is like comparing apples to oranges. As well, Daiwa's technology included in their Saltiga and Morethan series is superior to any other reels I've yet to find.

Now, to answer Speedsurfer's question:

I have no experience kayak fishing, but if dunking an non-sealed $700 spinner is a possibility...:(. I'd go with a VS100 or 150, but I tend to fish light, so you might want the 150 over the 100. Choose the reel according to the size fish you are targeting, with respect to the rod (length, action, power), line (type, rating, & capacity reel will hold), and lure/bait you will be employing.

Now, the problem with The Van Staal is, they're notorious for fealing like egg beaters, and have a drag to match. If I were you, I'd go with a Penn Torque 5 or 7. It is proven as a dunkable surf reel, yet has drag and smoothness closer to that of a Stella. They are also made in America and can be serviced at a much lower cost by Penn (about $100 bucks to have your VS serviced by VS). Either way, you can't lose.

Tight Lines.

Ask this question on the Kayak-Fishing board.

Surfcasters use longer rods than kayakers, and make longer casts.

They will never experience the thrill of a "Nantucket Sleighride"

Use a cheap Conventional reel on a Kayak. 320GTI, TLD15.

I like my hotrodded Penn 165's. Now with HT-100 dragwashers and Torpedo handles.

Match it with a rather stiff rod, like you were going night bluefishing. long enough to touch the front of the boat.

Bring a second rod, calibrated like Largemouth Bass. this could be a spinner.

The idea is, to catch bait with the small rod, and liveline it on the heavy one.

"Anything that wiggles, is better than something that is dead."

Bergalls, Tommycod, Snapper Blues ....they all work.

"Bring your lunch, catch your dinner."

(Don't forget a Bunker-Snagger!)

I'd go with a better easier cranking reel than the vs. maybe not isla due to it's difficulty in self maintenance. But Cabo or Gosa may be a simpler cheaper alternative....but thats just me.

I want to thanks all of you guys. I am overwhelmed with your great advise.

I think i would go with the Van Stall 150 now i have to decide on VS or VSB, i think the VS will be a bit challenge for me specially from a Kayak.

Regards Dan.