Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishooks

WTB lathe chuck and plug building supplies

10 posts in this topic

Just bought a lathe to dabble in the plug building trade. I basically have nothing I need besides the lathe and some random tools. Looking for whatever you think I might need. Also, any advice wouldn't hurt! Thanks!

I am assuming you have a smaller "Midi" lure building lathe. If you have both the drive(left side) centre and the live (right side) centre I cannot think of any reason you would need a chuck (and I am assuming you mean something like a Nova) to turn plugs. Make sure your chisels are sharp. Wear face protection and a dust mask and live on the Lure Building Forum and read all you can. As you learn and have a little spare cash a longer tool rest (see below) is really sweet. Easy Wood chisels with the replaceable bits (no sharpening) are really nice ( I use the mini ones and make pens and pepper mills with them as well) and you can get the replacement bits from AZ Carbide way cheaper than Easy on fleabay and the owner at AZ is a great guy. I bought my Delta Midi in March of 2009 with no idea how to use it. Made a lot of kindling at first but have caught a lot of fish on what I make now. Next step is an airbrush, etc. Be careful it is addictive.

Good Luck

Puck

PS if nobody on here has spare stuff to sell then for supplies try Cape Cod Tackle (dancingonrocks) is a member and a terrific person. Store is closed until December I believe but someone else might chime in.

Thanks a lot, puck. I actually bought a decent sized one from harbor freight. Got a lot of good reviews from friends. I believe its 12"x33 3/8 by central something. I bought one I could also make table legs and stuff with too. Hope I didn't make it harder on myself buying the bigger one and trying to make plugs with it. I was wondering if I could get away with the head chuck thing they included with the lather, and from what you're saying I guess I can.

Hey just make sure you get the right taper. I have two lathes now. The first one has a Morse Taper 1 which is really hard to find things for. Morse Taper 2 has many different pieces. Now I use the MT1 for drilling. Amazon has a good source for pieces like live centers chucks but you should invest in a good drill press because it is a pain to drill on the lathe. Like speed well said jump in the lure building forum. A lot of regulars in there. Just watch out say the wrong thing and the will bust on you for a while til you redeem yourself. Think it happens to all the noobs in there.

I have an old craftsman drill press that I've been using for years. Better than any newer style one I've tried. I can't put my finger on what it is, the thing just has charm.

I like using a Super Drive center (5/8") than has the proper morse taper (usually MT2) for your lathe... Gets a great bite and the spring loaded center works well. You can find them for $20 online

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0