Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sakkadad

Islamorada next week

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Next week we are lucky enough to be coming down to Lower Metecumbe from Slower Lower Delaware for about 10 days. I've done a little research online, but nothing beats first hand knowledge, so with that in mind, I ask you locals what I should be targeting, and, without spot burning, where in general would be the best places I should look at. From what I've seen, it looks like snook are in season and my 8 1/2 St. Croix and Sustain loaded with 30 lb braid should be OK - what do you all think? Also, any tips on baits/lures, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have been down there a few times. The most successful fishing I have had is off shore. Boat rentals are available all over for about 175 a day. You don't need to travel more than a 10 min ride to have access to some world class fishing. The only place I have fished from shore is by the bridge south of the post card inn. No matter where you put the pole in the water in that piece of paradise it should be a good time.

Jaymorr - thanks for the advice. Any bait/tackle shops that should be on the must visit list? I fish almost exclusively with braid - any recommendations for types and poundage I should use? I have an empty spool that I need to fill. Thanks

Jaymorr - thanks for the advice. Any bait/tackle shops that should be on the must visit list? I fish almost exclusively with braid - any recommendations for types and poundage I should use? I have an empty spool that I need to fill. Thanks

By all means stop at World Wide Sportsman MM 82 (First of the Pro Bass stores). I like to call it a tourist trap designed to look like a fishing tackle store, there is woman's wear and food and drink. There was a good quality WWS Tee for $5 last time I was in.

Your 7' rod should have 10# on it for most day time fishing. If you put out bait at night (best bet, near the fish cleaning station) you could get spooled at any pound test. Darn sharks love the cover of darkness.

Peace

My location is changing to winter on Tuesday (11, 11)

Hook I and RedJeep - Thanks for the suggestions. The bittersweet here is that I think I'm over the age limit for a FL license - I have a FIN from DE, and I think I read in the state FL site that it covers the requirement. I'm 66 - what do you think? It's nice that perhaps I don't have to purchase one, but I'd trade the age for the cost of one. We're on a canal - any ideas for red snapper? At this point, I think we're more likely to see the sundown part of the day than the early time - we've been working way too many hours, days, years without a vacation - one of the downsides of being your own boss. Thanks again fellows - I hope to post some photos of more than open water. Take care.