Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
westhavendave

St Croix Ben Doerr Surf System SS100M2 question

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Just picked up a Ben doerr in nice shape and noticed the first large guide from the bottom is all metal. no insert. Is this common on the older models or could it be a customization by a previous owner? Also, knowing that the rod was made "pre-braid", is it acceptable to use braid with this one metal guide on the rod, or will it have an adverse affect on the braid? Thanks in advance, Dave.

I own the same model.

The guide you mention is a Daiwa dynaflo stainless, #50.

As you say the guide and the guide layout were designed for mono.

You can use the rod as is with braid, just keep an eye on the guide for wear, but the size of the guides, number of guides and guide layout were not designed for braid, and will not knock the line down to a straight line or maximize the power of the blank.

If you decide to replace the guide, consider having it totally re wrapped with better quality guides and an improved layout.

I own the same model.

The guide you mention is a Daiwa dynaflo stainless, #50.

As you say the guide and the guide layout were designed for mono.

You can use the rod as is with braid, just keep an eye on the guide for wear, but the size of the guides, number of guides and guide layout were not designed for braid, and will not knock the line down to a straight line or maximize the power of the blank.

If you decide to replace the guide, consider having it totally re wrapped with better quality guides and an improved layout.

Saxon, Thanks for the reply. Interested to know if you have re-wrapped yours and with what configuration. If not, what would you recommend for guides on that rod. The reel seat is a Fuji and intact.

nice blank I like those older ones. you could use K' or regular V frames. the K frame 30 is a high frame which is nice keeps the line off the blank and is probably big enough for any reel you are going to use. if you go with the K's you will have to step down on size at a time for the first 2 guides. If you go with the V you will probably need a 40 just for the guide height but can step down the ring size quicker ex 40 25 16..... The K's will cost you a little more money. Both will work fine if they are setup properly.

Dave,

I did re wrap mine using BSVLG hardloys. The configuration was a modified cone of flight arrangement, using the exact sizes Surfisher Mike recommended, I also added 2 more smaller guides than the original specs',which I think had only 4 guides. It did improve the feel of the rod and distribute stress more evenly.