Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duckwump

User Report on a New 5 Piece Prototype Century Travel Surf Rod, the SS1505-5 12'6" 1-4 Oz.

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

SS1505-5 12'6" 1-4oz

While down on Hatteras Island for a week-long fishing trip, I had a chance to try out a prototype five-piece rod from Century. It is a five-piece version of the 1505 Sling Shot Light. That rod has been used with great success as a long distance lure caster for roosterfish and I suspect that is the same market targeted by this rod. (I think some of High Plains Drifter’s posts discussed this rod.) I have not casted the 1505 light but I have a 1505 medium that I like a lot. I was visiting with Ryan White of Hatteras Jack when he showed me the rod and asked if I would fish with it for a couple days and report back on it. This can be a dangerous practice for me since I have sometimes ended up buying these "loaners" but Ryan assured me that this rod, while in late development, was not yet for sale. So off I went.

This rod had been built as spinner with titanium K guides but Ryan said it would work with a conventional reel. It was as light as a feather.

I paired it initially with a Abu 5500 CT with 12 pound test mono and a 30 lb shock leader. The wind of whipping from the north at about 15 miles per hour so we went to the south beach to get out of the wind. This means that any casting distance was greatly assisted by the wind so please keep that in mind. I did not try and ground or pendulum casts. These were regular hatteras-style beach casts. I first casted a 3 oz pink sting silver which went almost out of sight (100 plus yards). It also worked well with a four oz crippled herring. The rod felt great. I did not try anything below 3 ounces because it would have been able to see it land with all that chop out there.

I wanted to try some bait fishing with this reel so I switched over to a levelwind Akios 555 CTM with 30lb braid. Again, I tried the sting silver and it went way out there. I then tried three oz on a two dropper rig with some squid. I think this may be the ideal weight and bait combination for this rod. It is not too heavy for the rod to sling well but there is sufficient weight to over come the drag from the baits. I was getting well over a hundred yards with each cast. I switched up to 4 and bait and it also cast it well but I think it just shade over its optimum bait casting weight. I finally switched over to a non-level wind reel, a Penn Squall 12, also with 30lb braid and tried casting five and bait. Even though this is beyond the rod’s specs of 1-4 ounces Ryan wanted me to try it out which I did. I made several hard casts and the rod bent down deep in the butt and slung the rig out close to a hundred yards. (Keep in mind the wind assist.) This was clearly stretching the rod’s capabilities but it did not collapse and it made a decent cast.

During the course of casting the rods, I did catch some sea mullet and rod did a great job in the bite detection department.

Some caveats: Because of the wind at my back none of these casting distances should be considered to accurately represented what the rod will do. Keep in mind also that I using the rod to cast bait when I think it is primarily designed to launch light lures/plugs of 1-2 ½ ounces very long distances and to some, that might be akin to saddling a race horse with a plow (pun intended). (I could have casted more lures but with the wind, conditions where not ideal for doing that and I wanted to catch some fish and I also wanted to test the rod with the higher weights.) Also, I did not fiddle with pendulum or ground casts and I think doing that with a lure or with 3 and bait would have increased the casting distances. (I was a little nervous about trying that with this prototype.) Finally, I was casting a spinning rod with a conventional reel and that set up was not going to get the optimum performance from it.

I can state that the rod felt great. I could not tell it was a multi-piece rod. Everything fit together like a fine watch. The whole package is no longer than 32 inches disassembled. You can easily fit it in a duffel bag. If you are traveling, this would make a great lure caster and a decent light weight bait and weight rod.

The next time I am in Hatteras I hope to try to rod again when there is less wind (Lol) and see what it will do with some plugs. I think Century has a winner here. I am going to post some photos of the rod.

Great write up. I've been anxiously waiting to try this rod since Ryan had posted the beginning phases on his facebook page. I have a few rods I'll be bringing with me on my mexico trip but it involves bringing a large tube. This may be the perfect answer to the traveler. The standard 2pc version is out of this world in launching plugs for roosterfish. Thank you for sharing. I'll post my thoughts once I try it out for myself.

wow.. this sounds so nice, perfect for my kind of fishing with bait and for having it storaged on the cabinets of the closet or always on the car with me.

any other recent report ?

I have not used one since. I saw Ryan yesterday at the Rod Building Expo and he told me he sold all of his five piece blanks. I am sure some more are on the way. While at the Expo, I saw a nice CTS five piece 12.5 foot rod (S8?). So, I think these multi-piece surf rods may be a trend. Tom