Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BARhopper

Surprise! He's back!

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I never gave this guy much of a chance after he showed up last year with one deformed leg and the goofiest looking rack I think I've ever seen. The genetic misfit seems to be a survivor, though. My son wants to shoot a deer so I may let him take this one if he gets a chance. Problem is, I know that whenever it's his turn in the rotation to be dinner, we'll be thinking, "Oh, it's THAT deer.":scared:

Last year then this year, almost to the exact same day.

Deer are tuff critters, they can survive nicely on 3 legs as this guy proves. He looks well fed and should have no problem surviving unless a hunter, yotes, car, or a pile of snow crosses his path.

My son shot a nice deer a few years ago and it turned out his leg had been broken in the past and then and healed. His foot stuck out to the side and he was walking on a ball of gristle. Animals are tuff!  

I never gave this guy much of a chance after he showed up last year with one deformed leg and the goofiest looking rack I think I've ever seen. The genetic misfit seems to be a survivor, though. My son wants to shoot a deer so I may let him take this one if he gets a chance. Problem is, I know that whenever it's his turn in the rotation to be dinner, we'll be thinking, "Oh, it's THAT deer.":scared:

Last year then this year, almost to the exact same day.

That looks like a hell of a nice buck for the table. He looks extremely well fed and fattened up nicely. :)

Looks like he has some genetic issues and may have been hit by a car.

But he does look "healthy" (body wise) and appears to have gotten by for a while.

He needs out of the heard.

We have one on the wall at The Cabin (young deer) which has a forked horn on one side and a palmated horn on the other side which curls down and under his jaw with the velvet still hanging on...looks a bit like a catcher's mask.

The guy who shot it started not to because it was so young an immature, but when he saw that weird rack...

On the plaque there's a brass tag, "It's been one of those years".